• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scopes on MLers......again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed, it may not matter though here, with the severe tag reductions lately we may not have a deer season before long, I saw five deer on the way to the jobsite in the costal Mts. today and four had big splotches of hair missing and looked really scrungy and it is not a seasonal thing,hair loss syndrome is getting bad around here.

As stated it wont be easy but it could be done. It is not fair that the traditional guys had their season hijacked but that is the reality. How would we start?
James

Well we muct first set some limitations judging from the general tone around here, any lead bullet should be allowed as a conical is a conical(this or course does not apply to modern ML guns when you figure the logic to that let me know) scopes should be allowed because they were around though primitive but that does not matter modern one are the same as the early ones even the ones with out glass,same for peepsights. fiber optics, the ferguson was a breechloader, so breechloaders that resemble ML's should be allowed, heat sensor scopes would be a good thing for those with poor eyesight certainly deer gave off heat in the past and certain animals hunted by sensing heat so this is valid, can't think of much else nut all of the above can be spun into the realm or traditional and should be allowed, no sense in making a ML season harder than the centerfire season there was much focus on doing this in the begining but it might exclude some folks who were not willing or able to tackle the learning curve and settle for the close range primitive sights and projectile type of hunt lord knows no one would care for such a thing.

I think we can all agree on what "traditional" hunting is in terms of the intent of this forum. However, just to take things to an extreme, I was talking with a guy who know I am a hunter and the subject of firearms restrictions (control - by any other name) came up. I said that I mostly enjoyed shooting and hunting with "traditional" guns - and then had to define that for him as flintlocks. The conversation then migrated into hunting laws and that is where it got off into the extreme because he said that any hunter who was worth his salt would hunt with a fire hardened sharp stick and a piece of flint. Oh, and for the real PC effect - bare feet and brain tanned mastadon hides would be be the runway fashion statement.

"How would we start"

I did not intend to chase you away Jim, just offered some examples of how ridiculus the reasoning behind the current regs are, I don't think it can be changed to what it was or should be, the problem has been let go to far for to long.

Jim RN said:
I am sorry. Things here will never change. I will not speak on this subject again.
James

He was just joking about the logic some people use to justify things. And personally, I thought it was pretty dang funny. :grin:

you people are the anti gun lobys dream come true you keep on fighting among your self and let the anties com in the back door you all should band together to stop any more manure from the anties.thats rite inline and trad hunters should band together for more strength befor it is to late dont become like australia and the uk lern to get on or you are doomed.
bernie :bull: :shake:

"you people are the anti gun lobys dream come true you keep on fighting among your self and let the anties com in the back door"

Don't think so, the modern ML bunch closed that door after they sneaked in years ago...

There is really no fighting just exchanging views on what regulations for ML hunting seasons should be, and the modern ML crowd is moving the ML into the same classification of centerfires when MLs' used to be those old time guns that nobody paid much attention to because they were pretty much harmless, the way things are going there will be so little seperating the ML in ballistics that the may be viewed as the same as a #1 Ruger, that is what many ML shooters/hunters fear.

I wish we just had "Hunting Season". In FL it's gotten so complicated you can barely figure out if you're legal or not.

I don't care what people use as long as it's legal & ethical.

windwalker_au said:
you people are the anti gun lobys dream come true you keep on fighting among your self and let the anties com in the back door you all should band together to stop any more manure from the anties.thats rite inline and trad hunters should band together for more strength befor it is to late dont become like australia and the uk lern to get on or you are doomed.
bernie :bull: :shake:
I have to agree it is not any deferent then the fight of military semi autos and the bolt action fight .my hunting partner years ago hated it when I hunted with a fal .I did it for fun nothing more and both my bolt and fal used the same ammo. Well in the end that fight changed to no sporting use for that style of gun. now I do agree with a ML season being what it used to be but then again being I do not use a rock lock I believe there is on state that says no to me for ML deer hunting yet a cap lock is also the very same gun just a deferent ignition system but every thing other is the same. With the new in lines that has changed there not the same but I also believe they should have there own season as they are also not up to the newer center fires ether. It would be like letting our ML hunt during the archery hunts to me in lines and traditional are about the same there not the same simple but if it means letting them hunt or turning them away AI will let them hunt to add to the numbers of gun owners and people to fight for gun rights. Give them there own season and we should help them get it and have them help us keep ours instead of fighting about whose hunt it is. Just my two cents worth

"I also believe they should have there own season as they are also not up to the newer center fires ether."

They are getting very cloes if not equal to some centerfires with some of the new bullet designs whch many want to call traditional, That is what is scary, when a ML is equal to a single shot cartridge gun what is the point of a seperate season and will ML's still be "non-firearms"All guns are good there is just a time and a place for different types, a segregation of sorts for the purpose of experiencing an early type hunting tech, or a shotgun instead of an AK 47 for the wingshooting experience, a handheld gun for handgun competition, a shoulder weapon would be a bit odd there even if it was a detachable stock that fastened to a pistol.

Hey Claude if'n ya don't mind 'll add my problem to this, I'm laid up in bed waiting to die, and I dont think you'll see any place I've asked you all to walk a deer by my window so I could "hunt one" pure :bull: if yaq guys don't know me I've gone from shooting 1000 yds off my back porch in a wheel chair, a few ops and I could stand and even walk for 2 years but I'm flat on my back now (most the time...my olds son built a ramp/bench kind of thing so I can shoot this flintlock they got me (why do people wait till your about dead to start thinking about you??) I've rolled on my side and load and shot twice, and I've got one of those Red Rider "sniper rifles" looks like one but shoots a little lead ball thats .00005 close on the barrel to ball, and a muzzle loader with peep ect (all from the factory) I shoot a yank cannon crew across the room when I'm feling really bad and I mean 1 man at a time not shoot the cannon and let it take em all down, ya life is tuff. I'm not sure about the scope problem, the first one I read about was built and tryed in 1777 or so by 2 great Americans and even a note found in a Dr book of the time about treating them for eye hurts...anyway 20 and 40 rod shooters used 17 and 30 X 1n the mid 1830s I think it was, dont have mynotes and can't jump up and get them...whatever I do feel for the guy but if you can use a globe and peep you dont need a scope just learn to shoot. Freds 2 cents. :hatsoff: MY self I'm no scope because you have to draw the line some place and when the NMLRA started this guys with 10000000s of bucks and planes ect could run around the world and get 5 pics of troph anaimals and call them "Longhunters" I called them (the people that run Longhunters full of :bull:

I think that peeps and even scopes from the time period the gun represents would be great, but we have fallen into the habit of using modern style gear because it had a distant relative in the past
thus the modern ML is born because by loose association,and we figure anything goes and when we get to that point why have a special season for ML's and there should always be allowances for handicaped or vision impaired as in most activities.

Back