• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

School me T/C Renegade .54

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Slipped up on a T/C Renegade .54 ..had one years ago but as a then "meat hunter" it went to the way side for a 209 fire IN-Lxxe (can't say the "I" word here)

Any way ..the early Renegade .54 only had heavy heavy conical s running thru it so... no PRB know how is stored in my onboard computer šŸ˜Ž

PRB Renegade .54 shooters ..in a search I am not finding exact ball diameter dimensions, patch material type and thickness as well as preferred lube

So please share with me your handy dandy..have to shoot me if you tell me ..successful PRB combinations ..would also appreciate if you have the time to indicate swab between shots(if any) etc.

Thanks
Bear

In the 70's my brother developed hunting loads for his.
.530 ball, good quality pillow ticking, max charges of FFg, neatsfoot oil lube and a paper buffer over powder.
Don't think you can buy good American made ticking any more.
Bubbas Ticking.jpg

.535 ball, cheap Wally-World pre-lubed patch over a 70gr measure full of pyrodex shot cloverleafs at 75yds in mine and to the exact same point of impact as a bore-butter lubed maxi-ball over a 90gr measure full of the same pyrodex.

.530 ball, with precut pillow ticking patches (dry) lightly lubed with bore butter, and 90grs of 2F Black Powder. Remember each rifle is different. You'll need to find what works best in yours for best accuracy. Just like modern rifles 2 of the same make and model, off the same line, more than likely will like 2 different loads for best accuracy. Loads will depend these days as to what powder you have available. If you can't get real Black Powder, use a nipple like a Hot Shot nipple (1/4-28 threading for the TC) for better ignition of the substitutes (all of them), they have a higher ignition temp compared to real Black Powder. You can get them at Track of the Wolf. Hopefully you have some #11 caps left over from your previous days. They can be little hard to find depending on your location. DANNY

Any way ..the early Renegade .54
That was my entry level gun in the mid 80's. It was a un-expected barter for my labor on a job,, but I accepted in it lieu of some cash for payment with nothing more than minor instruction, (I didn't need more, I already knew everything back then)
The cursed thing,, I still have a soft spot for that rifle!!
No internet, No forums,, but everything was available.
It took a ton of shooting, but darned if that thing wasn't a tack driver!

Any way's, Mine was a 530 ball with 18-20 off the shelf pre-lubbed patches with stout 75-80grn loads.

What did stick with me from the barter, was being told about the need for clean. You can not neglect the nipple and flash channel,, ever. And it has to be cleaned "white patch coming out white" every time.

Thanks everyone ..it appears there is a very common ball diameter of .530 ..w/patch .010 to .020 but .015 seems to center the needle ..with powder in the 75-85 grain level
I understand some guns do better with higher RPM'S ..and I most definitely will want a hunting load.. but I will also experiment with some "range" level stuff starting around 55 grains ..SO ...anyone found a particular "range load" that is also working well for you??
Once upon a time I used to go to the range and pounds later have all my answers n enjoyed doing it..now ..with caps n powder a tad rare I'll just ask...šŸ˜†

Bear

I have a 54 flint Mortimer, a percussion 54 Lyman Great Plains and a 54 1803 harpers ferry. All three I use a .018 pillow tick patch, 530 ball and 80 grains of 2F Goex. Odd that three different rifles shoot the best with the same load but they do. Iā€™ve tried less and more 2F powder and 3F loads. Nothing in mine do as well as the 80 gr of 2F. I use that load for matches and hunting.

Just did this with my 54 Renegade last weekend. Mine likes a 526 ball with a .15 spit patch. I put the patch in my mouth while I'm loading the powder...I use 100 grains of 3F black powder.

Last weekend I was shooting golf balls off a berm 80 yards away.

This weekend I'm going to try a 530 ball with a .10 patch....and see what happens.

530 rb, .015 ticking patch lubed with beeswax/olive oil blend lube with 65 to 70 grains for range, 100 grains hunting

Thanks everyone ..it appears there is a very common ball diameter of .530 ..w/patch .010 to .020 but .015 seems to center the needle ..with powder in the 75-85 grain level
I understand some guns do better with higher RPM'S ..and I most definitely will want a hunting load.. but I will also experiment with some "range" level stuff starting around 55 grains ..SO ...anyone found a particular "range load" that is also working well for you??
Once upon a time I used to go to the range and pounds later have all my answers n enjoyed doing it..now ..with caps n powder a tad rare I'll just ask...šŸ˜†

Bear
For 25 yard and 50 yard match shooting I found a tack driving load with .530 balls with .015 wonder lube patches and 30 grains of 2F or 3F triple 7 in my Renegade

Latest posts

Back