• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

School me T/C Renegade .54

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone ..it appears there is a very common ball diameter of .530 ..w/patch .010 to .020 but .015 seems to center the needle ..with powder in the 75-85 grain level
I understand some guns do better with higher RPM'S ..and I most definitely will want a hunting load.. but I will also experiment with some "range" level stuff starting around 55 grains ..SO ...anyone found a particular "range load" that is also working well for you??
Once upon a time I used to go to the range and pounds later have all my answers n enjoyed doing it..now ..with caps n powder a tad rare I'll just ask...😆

Bear
My low end load for targets at 50yds is 55grs 2f, .530 ball .18 mink oil patch. Can shoot that load all day long.

That surely is a great buck, wish it were mine. It came from Southern NH. A friend of mine shot it two years ago. Not many big racks like that here in Vermont. Most around here are like the second picture , that is one of mine from Vermont.

Attachments

• 45D82A9A-211D-4704-885B-58BE51AC425F.jpeg
    45D82A9A-211D-4704-885B-58BE51AC425F.jpeg
    201.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 28F0BD9A-3CC2-4D43-9EF6-D82BE7332CF8.jpeg
    28F0BD9A-3CC2-4D43-9EF6-D82BE7332CF8.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 32
Well folks ..the Renegade is in transit from Ohio to Missouri ..the .530 balls, .015 lubed patches are inbound from TOW and it is going to be below zero wind chill tonight ..warm to 40 one day then freeze up for another spell ..oh well gives me time to clean it properly

Bear

What a great thread! What a great shooting life to return to!

My practice wife gave me a T/C .54 Renegade kit for our first Xmas together in 1981. I was making smoke by New Years day! Was she pretty? Nope. Did she shoot? Yep!

I've had her over 40 years and hunted with her across the country while I spent a career in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club, (US Navy.) Twenty five years ago, newly retired, I returned "home" to Oregon.
For a couple years I had relatives and old school friends being, ah, "concerned," about this guy that went out for beer and came back 20 years later. This older version of a familiar face that came to deer and elk camps toting a slightly out of date firearm.

Because, of course, I never wanted to move again, I moved again.

After 18 months at "home" we moved to SE Alaska. My Renegade didn't get much hunting time in a rain forest. Lucky for me my new home is inhabited by folks that would fall into the "concerned" catagorey if they lived in non-Alaskan areas.

What I did have was a bunch of shooters that wanted their range guns to make a statement. The statement that comes with a four foot flame, loud noise and plenty of smoke!

So after over 23 years there were fewer and fewer of us. Unfortunately that time comes for everyone, there is no escaping it.

You retire and start Snowbirding to Arizona or Hawaii. I think it's an Alaskan constitution thing.

So I slacked off and eventually stopped playing the 'keep your powder dry' game. You know you can't pass over your Renegade too many times in your gun locker. That .54 hole keeps whispering "lets go scew off!"

So we did.

Man, she still shoots!

Which brings me back to the thread. For over forty years a .530 round ball, a well greased patch (mattress ticking and the lube in a unlabeled plastic pint jar (had one once.)) The lube jar has received the last dribs and drabs of other lubes for a LONG time! Somewhere between 80 - 90 grains Goex. I'm almost positive it was always FFg or FFFg.

2 inch group at 50 yards, 3+ inchs at a hundred. Same as it's been for 40 years.

A point of interest is that my Renegade only likes patched round balls. Early on I started casting. After the 224gr, .530 dia. RB mold I purchased the Lee 410gr, .533 dia. Minie Bullet mold. I spent 20 years trying to get my .54 Renegade to shoot the Minie Balls. Or Maxi balls or Buffalo Bullets or etc. So anything other than PRB got shelved two decades ago.

Did I say, A point of interest is that my Renegade only likes patched round balls?

My, have things changed in twenty years!

But I have hope and a plan! Which can translated as "Hold my beer and watch this!"

The word is "overwad!"

Last edited:
My practice wife gave me a T/C .54 Renegade kit for our first Xmas together in 1981.

Good post but I am curious, what is a "practice wife"? I made need to pick one or two of those up sometime. Lol.

I have a .54 caliber Renegade on my watchlist now that I may buy. I sure don't need another BP rifle but I sure like the Renegades with their shorter barrel and none of the brass flash and bling. And if TOW could get in some more Green Mountain RB barrels that would be icing on the cake.

Good post but I am curious, what is a "practice wife"? I made need to pick one or two of those up sometime. Lol.

I have a .54 caliber Renegade on my watchlist now that I may buy. I sure don't need another BP rifle but I sure like the Renegades with their shorter barrel and none of the brass flash and bling. And if TOW could get in some more Green Mountain RB barrels that would be icing on the cake.
And then he asks, “Was she pretty? Nope!” Guess that’s why she was a practice wI’ve… ;-)

Back