• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My T/C Renegade lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
1685559458842.png

Here is a pic that Zonie posted back in 2006. The lock on my latest T/C Renegade .54 cal rifle has been cleaned, by a previous owner, to white metal, as has the barrel. I am going to rebrown the barrel but I need to do something with the lock. Zonie said that he got the results shown by heating portions of the lock with a pencil type torch. If I attempt to do the same do I need to disassemble the lock first? Can anyone give me more tips or advice before I try it? I appreciate any help offered.

View attachment 225097
Here is a pic that Zonie posted back in 2006. The lock on my latest T/C Renegade .54 cal rifle has been cleaned, by a previous owner, to white metal, as has the barrel. I am going to rebrown the barrel but I need to do something with the lock. Zonie said that he got the results shown by heating portions of the lock with a pencil type torch. If I attempt to do the same do I need to disassemble the lock first? Can anyone give me more tips or advice before I try it? I appreciate any help offered.
Yes, you need to disassemble the lock before applying heat to it.

Leave the lock fully assembled.

Apply more heat to the tumbler and sear engagement surfaces so they'll be a prettier blue.

JUST KIDDING: Fully disassemble the lock.

Then polish the snot out of everything and clean the oils off of everything before applying heat.

Find some steel to practice on. Those colors will sneak up on you. You want to get off the heat BEFORE you reach the color you want.

Attachments

• 2023-05-09 (1).png
    2023-05-09 (1).png
    97.4 KB · Views: 0
Back