• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question for Horn builders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have this beautiful little horn that I want to put back in service. Will go great with a little squirrel rifle. Is no longer air tight. Looks like the plug shrunk. Otherwise no worm holes or cracks. What is your recommendation to seal it? From the outside or from the inside and using what material? Thanks in advance.
20231017_201320.jpg
20231017_201327.jpg
20231017_201337.jpg
20231017_201348.jpg
20231017_201358.jpg

Can you post a pic of the back (plug) face-first, showing wood shrinkage?
Also, how bad is the air escaping when you blow into the nozzle?
From where the pegs/pins are, the plug looks thick, so you could pack some filler between the horn and wood, but that's just a first-thought.

Can you post a pic of the back (plug) face-first, showing wood shrinkage?
Also, how bad is the air escaping when you blow into the nozzle?
From where the pegs/pins are, the plug looks thick, so you could pack some filler between the horn and wood, but that's just a first-thought.

Attachments

• 20231017_205919.jpg
    20231017_205919.jpg
    873.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231017_205821.jpg
    20231017_205821.jpg
    793.6 KB · Views: 0
There are probably several ways to remedy the horn. What would be so difficult in making a new plug?Is the old plug very old?If it's not too terribly hot where you hunt beeswax will work just fine.Or possibly enlarge the old plug so it will fit snug. A little J.B. Weld should be able to accomplish that. A little patience goes a long way.

Last edited:
It can certainly be packed and sealed. The question is would you want to make it merely functional, or make it functional as well as make the patch unnoticeable (i.e., restoration). That could be done as well but would take some doing.
Well it's not a very valuable horn although it is probably at least 125 years. I'm not going to make a new plug. Most likely will melt some wax and pack it in the gaps. Won't be too horrible to look at and will be enjoyed in the woods once again.

Had some natural beeswax candles so I lit one and let it pour into the gaps then I wiped it off. Was leaking around the screw I found so I removed it and sealed it up with wax as well. Started oiling the plug as it was really dry. It's completely airtight now and will be back in the squirrel woods soon. It's such a beautiful little horn.
20231018_125353.jpg

Beeswax was the best way to go with that, since the base plug wasn’t cracked and the horn seems to be in pretty good condition. I really
Like the simplicity of that horn. Good job fixing a piece of history.. in a historical manner! 👍🏻👍🏻
Thank you. I appreciate that. It's such a nice little horn.

Latest posts

Back