• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sauerkraut

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pennsylvania Dutch Pepper Cabbage
Ingredients
2 cups shredded raw green cabbage
1/2 cup finely diced green pepper
1/2 cup finely diced celery
1/4 cup grated carrots
Dressing
1/2 cup cold water
5 Tablespoons white vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon salt
Pepper to taste
Instructions
Place all the vegetables in a large glass bowl. Mix the dressing ingredients together in a smaller bowl, pour the dressing over the vegetables. Mix to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled.

Kinda like coleslaw without mayo. And way more delicious :grin:

Wilber Nebraska hosts Czech days and years ago their specialty served at a number of locations was duck, dumplings and Kraut washed down with copious amounts of beer. Keep in mind this was during my college days many years ago. The duck, dumplings and kraut does sound good though. I wonder if my daughter would miss one of her drakes from her flock?

I was at an event in the ”˜70s. We all were going to have a camp feed and potato salad was in our menu. One of the boys wanted to put mustard in it. Something in my younger days I had never heard of. ”˜What sort of idiot would put mustard in potato salad’ I asked. ”˜An idiot that wants good potato salad ”˜ he answered... he was right.

Mustard in potato salad is pretty much standard operating procedure here in southern Minnesota. You might find this odd, but, dad used to put a tablespoon of mustard in a bowl of beef & barley soup ... I thought he was nuts ... he finally convinced me to try it. Now I rarely eat beef & barley soup without mustard.

My daughter bought a crock of about 2 gallons so week had to fill it with chopped cabbage. It is on day three it is starting to smell edible.

Hairy Clipper said:
Mustard in potato salad is pretty much standard operating procedure here in southern Minnesota. You might find this odd, but, dad used to put a tablespoon of mustard in a bowl of beef & barley soup ... I thought he was nuts ... he finally convinced me to try it. Now I rarely eat beef & barley soup without mustard.

:eek:ff

Like a slice of sharp cheese with your apple pie. It makes no sense to talk about, but it sure tastes right.

My in laws are very nice folks and I get along well with them. But some strange eating quirks. MIL sprinkles salt on everything, even watermelon. We only use salt on popcorn. They thought it strange that wife and I use old bay seasoning on corn on the cob. FIL gotta have cheddar cheese with pumpkin pie.
MIL thinks it is extremely odd to eat a piece of pie for breakfast. To me it is the same as the toast and jam that she eats. We changed plans and went out to eat one night. The flounder I got was put in the fridge. The next morning, I made fish and eggs for breakfast. I'll never hear the end of that. Sauerkraut is one of those things that I get a yearn for a few times a year. Hot dogs do not taste right without it. My step son makes a weird spaghetti type dish using sauerkraut instead of pasta. I thought it looked disgusting, but at his insistence, I tried it. It was good, just not the right texture.

zimmerstutzen said:
My in laws are very nice folks and I get along well with them. But some strange eating quirks. MIL sprinkles salt on everything, even watermelon.

That's how I eat my watermelon. lots of salt.

We only use salt on popcorn.

Parmesan cheese, the cheap stuff in a shaker can.

They thought it strange that wife and I use old bay seasoning on corn on the cob.

I've put about everything imaginable on an ear of corn....BBQ sauce, mustard, Tabasco. etc....

MIL thinks it is extremely odd to eat a piece of pie for breakfast. To me it is the same as the toast and jam that she eats.

That's funny!...Cause I had homemade apple pie for breakfast this morning. :haha:

We changed plans and went out to eat one night. The flounder I got was put in the fridge. The next morning, I made fish and eggs for breakfast. I'll never hear the end of that.

Eject, eject, eject, :shocked2:

Sauerkraut is one of those things that I get a yearn for a few times a year. Hot dogs do not taste right without it. My step son makes a weird spaghetti type dish using sauerkraut instead of pasta. I thought it looked disgusting, but at his insistence, I tried it. It was good, just not the right texture.

I like it on pizza....But then I also like vinegar on pizza. :idunno:

The world is full of great flavor combinations....

When my wife is away visiting kids I’m home working and looking after pets. Only on those time I get to enjoy the greatest of breakfast .... kippers and eggs

Back