• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Armadillo

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was yakking with a friend who trapped 37 armadillos over the past year on her farm in Missouri and the topic of 'dillo as table fare came up. Apparently it was on more than one American table as "Hoover Hog" during the Depression and is alleged to taste like high-quality pork. I have since heard from three fellas who have personally eaten it and all agreed it was excellent. I kinda like the critters so am in no hurry to dispatch one, but it is interesting to know.
https://armadillo-online.org/food.h...los,traditional ingredient in Oaxaca, Mexico.
The one thing I would be wary of is the leprosy they possibly carry.

I've never had it. I can assure you that when I do taste it the first time it will be DELICIOUS, because I will be dying of starvation. 😄

I wonder though, could you roast them in the shell?

They get shot on sight around here. Between them and the feral hogs, they can destroy a good hayfield almost overnight. Those little burrowing buggers will ruin building foundations as well.
I always heard them called ‘possum on the half shell

For a long time I quit coming here to read because of the profanity. I see it is still here for no good reason.

I told the Web Lady I would not be a Supporting Member because of it.

Adios
But you’re in MML & we cuss a little here & there in there too.
I’ve always addressed ppl like you, like this; if you don’t cuss, fine. If you think I can’t cuss, bc you don’t, you’re dead wrong. If you don’t like what I say, or how I say it, don’t talk to me. Period!
It’s rare that an adult doesn’t cuss a little here & there. I promise you that well over half the ppl you sit with on Sunday cuss & do a whole lot of other stuff they will condemn others for doing. I’ve seen the BS hypocrisy all my life. I just LOL & SMFH now & stay clear of those ppl.
You’re pretty screwed socially anywhere not wanting to interact with ppl for a little innocent cuss word on the occasion.
So are you going to leave MML too be there is some cussing in there too?
Adios

Dont ever bother coming to Australia then, the big bad "B" word is very commonly used over here; more often than not as a term of affection.

I served in 3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment (3RAR, earned as US Presidential Citation for their part in fighting to a standstill the Chinese invasion at Kapyong in Korea), they earned the title "Old Faithful" and are the only unit in the world that has the formally approved right to sing "We're a pack of Bastards" (direct quote so surely acceptable here) whenever we/ they march off formal parades; even when royalty is present.
We Veterans of 3RAR are known as, and refer to each other as "Old Bastards".

Its just a word, an acceptable word in the English language.

A good replacement word is "bastages".....
No need whatsoever for any “ replacement word “ we’re all adults in the forums, & 99.9 % cuss to some degree.

Gotta share this one.........Times were tough after the coal mines shut down post WW2. My dad was working three jobs , so we wouldn't loose our house to the bank. I spent most of my time as a little kid growing up in the 80 acre abandoned farm field and woods behind our house. Mom's cousin was land mgr. for the Pa.Game Comm. , and he gave me a book on how to trap critters. Read the book , did some field research , and found the muskrats living in the creek banks in the edge of the field , might have saleable hides. Got a jump trap the size to clamp on a muskrat , set it in a big hole in the creek bank on Sat. afternoon. The book said to check my trap at first light to insure my catch didn't escape. Sunday morning before breakfast , I ran the couple hundred yds. to the trap site to find a good sized grey fur ball critter in my trap. The book said , I had to kill the critter , skin it and turn the hide inside out , and put a board in the skin , fur side in to dry it. I gave it a good wack with a dry limb , and it looked dead to me. My six yr. old sensible brain thought I should see if this thing was a muskrat , or some other valuable fir bearer. Our neighbor's house was closest , and John was from W.Va. , and knew most everything about wild things , so knocked on his kitchen door. Sure enough John came to the door dressed in his church goin' clothes , a blue suit. I showed him the critter I had caught , and asked him if he deemed it to be valuable. John said it was a big possom , and not too valuable , which made me sorry I had "killed" it by mistake. John said , not to worry. He said to take it out on the side lawn , leave it there for a bit , and observe the "dead" possom from behind the corner of the garage out of sight. John left for church , and in a minute , the possom sprang up and trotted down the road as if a miricle happened. When John got back from church , I ran over to him and told what happened. He laughed and said , possoms sometimes go into a sleep , if they are threatened , and come alive when danger is passed. That was a six yr. old trapper's first lesson. As i grew older and more experienced , I ran a trapline of 30 or more trap sets starting at 4Am in the morning , and back home for breakfast , and school bus by 8 AM. In the trapping season , my best year was around 20 + musk rats worth $2 each. I was rich after the traps were pulled before winter Ice shut the season down , and I sold my furs. When you have little , then gain something , though the work was hard , lessons are learned.
As young boys, my older brother and I trapped muskrat on the river bank in the woods behind our house in the early 1960s. We developed a love for the outdoors that has not faded after all these years.

They are just a bunch of "feckers!" Good British slang.
My BFF & I rode Harley’s across England in 05 & we were standing outside one of the many pubs we stopped at & I was having a smoke before we took off, and this guy asked me for a “ fag “. My bro & I about pi$$ed ourselves laughing at that & we had no clue what he was really wanting. Even after he explained that he wanted a cigarette, we were at a complete loss as to how the hell yall ended up with that term for cigarettes knowing what we here in the states refer to as fags. It was funny & very interesting that we all speak English, yet it’s so completely different from each other. We learned lots of funny new slang terms while there.

My BFF & I rode Harley’s across England in 05 & we were standing outside one of the many pubs we stopped at & I was having a smoke before we took off, and this guy asked me for a “ fag “. My bro & I about pi$$ed ourselves laughing at that & we had no clue what he was really wanting. Even after he explained that he wanted a cigarette, we were at a complete loss as to how the hell yall ended up with that term for cigarettes knowing what we here in the states refer to as fags. It was funny & very interesting that we all speak English, yet it’s so completely different from each other. We learned lots of funny new slang terms while there.
Wait until they talk about eating fine fellows! or "burning fine fellows"

friend who trapped 37 armadillos over the past year on her farm in Missouri
You can keep trapping and never eliminate them from your property. 'Dillos and possums multiply very rapidly and are so numerous, I believe, it is impossible to effectively reduce their numbers. I gave up killing both on my property years ago. 'Coons, cats, groundhogs and venomous snakes are a completely 'nuther story.

I live in Texas out in the country and have lots of armadillos that like my yard and flower beds after I water them! They come out at night for the most part. Someone ask how to trap them and I found an easy way that works for me. I bought a havaheart trap to catch coons and possums that show up every now and then. Works on dillos also. I find a den hole around my property and place the opening of the trap in front of the hole. They will walk right into the trap and you have them. You have to check every morning or they might die in the trap if its too hot. I then take them down to my land about two miles away and turn them loose. They can root all aver the place with no harm from me. They eat lots of bugs.

You can keep trapping and never eliminate them from your property. 'Dillos and possums multiply very rapidly and are so numerous, I believe, it is impossible to effectively reduce their numbers. I gave up killing both on my property years ago. 'Coons, cats, groundhogs and venomous snakes are a completely 'nuther story.
Dillys' litters are always even numbered and all the little ones are the same sex.

Seems to me, I remember reading a Skeeter Skelton article in Guns & Ammo, back in the early 70s. In this case, Skeeter and a friend tested the idea of a mustered-out Ex-Confederate officer being allowed to keep his sidearm, and having to live off the land while returning home. The writer used repro percussion revolvers for the trek.
Being located in the Southwest, Skeeter & partner shot and cooked an armadillo, among other things.

Sorry I don't recall it more specifically, but Google Skeeter/cap and ball/armadillo and it might turn up.

My favorite George Strait song "Armadillo in the morning", I figured he was singing about being stranded in the desert or something, with nothing to eat but armored possum. Looking back, maybe I had too much Rum that night at deer camp. 🤪

No-one, and I mean no-one can blend with a song like George Strait, pure Honeyed voice without a doubt.

Some of you are Texans, and some of us wish we were.

Dont ever bother coming to Australia then, the big bad "B" word is very commonly used over here; more often than not as a term of affection.

I served in 3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment (3RAR, earned as US Presidential Citation for their part in fighting to a standstill the Chinese invasion at Kapyong in Korea), they earned the title "Old Faithful" and are the only unit in the world that has the formally approved right to sing "We're a pack of Bastards" (direct quote so surely acceptable here) whenever we/ they march off formal parades; even when royalty is present.
We Veterans of 3RAR are known as, and refer to each other as "Old Bastards".

Its just a word, an acceptable word in the English language.
He'd really be offended by Brits. When I was there for a short stay, they used the dreaded " C word", A LOT.

When I was a little fella, my grandad bred and sold Walkers as a side job and he would always hunt them a few times before selling them. I remember my grandma cooking coon. Seems like she would boil them several times because they were so greasy. Then she'd give it to grandad and he'd barbecue it. I'd stand around with the men learning new cuss words while they drank Red White and Blue beer and passed a jar of creek liquor around and barbecued coon. Good times. None of them left now.

He'd really be offended by Brits. When I was there for a short stay, they used the dreaded " C word", A LOT.

Indeed, I did 2 "tours" with the Brit Army over my 37 year service, one exchange with the Black Watch (at my request on justification that my ancestors served in the Regiment, the earliest being under the command of Sir John Moore during withdrawal at Corruna over the Napoleonic War) and the second tour with the Brit Parachute Regiment (my Australian Army service was mainly with Airborne units) where I had the opportunity to meet the Honorary Colonel then Prince Charles, who surprisingly used profanities off camera in the Sergeants and Officers messes; much to the delight of we assembled there. Dont believe what you read in the BS media, ol Charlie boy isnt a weak laddie at all.

As George Orwell pointed out, "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf".

Latest posts

Back