• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sauerkraut

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
zimmerstutzen Said:
My in laws are very nice folks and I get along well with them. But some strange eating quirks. MIL sprinkles salt on everything, even watermelon.

That's how I eat my watermelon. lots of salt.

Wait until you meet people who put chili powder on the watermelon. :wink:

LD

1950s and early 60s New England, salt on apples and watermelon and sometimes in beer, was common. Don't know if it still is. I haven't tried it in over fifty years.

Pie for breakfast at that time showed a farming influence, which thanks to my dad worked out great for me. (300 year background of Quebec farmers.)

Kraut seemed to be more of a city than small town item. That didn't stop me from becoming a kraut, vinegar and pickled veggie fanatic.

Jeff

Made some today :)
Didnt take long to start reducing in a couple hours.

P00dbWa.jpg

YpEOxVq.jpg

91AzDAz.jpg

jokIKs1.jpg

phA94gj.jpg

OvBYc6E.jpg

iFszKZk.jpg

My wife just finished a couple of batches in quart jars on the kitchen counter. They are now in the refrigerator for easy access when needed with those brats, pork chops etc.

Me and the missus put up 26 quarts of kraut this year, half using Himalayan pink salt, and the rest with regular pickling/canning salt.
I'm likin that pink salt recipe better but both are good with wieners , or pork roast, or ribs, and of course kielbasa .....
Dang, I'm gittin hungry !!

I love a good Reuben with fresh kraut.

I generally make 10-15 gallons a year with cabbage from the garden, using those 5 gallon white plastic food grade buckets from Lowes. I'll can some and leave some fresh. In a cool place like a root cellar it will last for months left covered in the bucket, or you can put it fresh in half gallon jars and put it in the fridge if you have room.

We cook with it(perk roast and stews), put it on sandwiches sausages and hotdogs, and eat it fresh, it really picks up a salad. And of course those Reubens, with a nice fermented kosher dill on the side.

My wife also freezes it in baggies if there is more than what we will eat over a short time. That works well. She just puts it in the bags and into the freezer. No special process.

Latest posts

Back