• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Saturday Squirreling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbutch

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Gentlemen's hunt 10 am start.41 deg.windy, skies clearing...temps dropping.
saw 8 gray and 1 fox squirrels....
Ended up with 3 grays for the pot... :thumbsup:
I clean them when they hit the ground..(easier to skin)
The 36 cal. was a little rough on them..will try the 32 cal. next weekend.
Really enjoy the late season squirrel hunt..No hurries no worries! :grin:
crows, woodpeckers,owls,hawks ,deer tracks everywhere.
Can't wait for next weekend.....
IMG_00981.jpg

IMG_00971.jpg

IMG_01001.jpg

Early bow deer season starts here mid September-First week in January..
Hard to get access till then..Small game hunting is frowned upon.!

It was peaceful..The heavy snow cover dropped with the rain,wind and warm temps from this last front..Snow trails closed.

The small grays were very active the last hour.

Squirrel hunting improves my shooting and the wife enjoys squirrel stew. :grin:

Snow cover 2 weeks ago..out snowshoeing....wife took the pic's

DSC02025-Copy.jpg

DSC02026.jpg

DSC02029.jpg

makeumsmoke said:
Gentlemen's hunt 10 am start
Sounds like a great morning...thanks for sharing
:hatsoff:

I had the alarm set for 6:00 to go Saturday morning as well, but the electric blanket won out

Dan for the last 4 days its been 70 with high wind and lots of rain here in redneckville. Congrats to ya :thumbsup:

roundball said:
makeumsmoke said:
Gentlemen's hunt 10 am start
Sounds like a great morning...thanks for sharing
:hatsoff:

I had the alarm set for 6:00 to go Saturday morning as well, but the electric blanket won out

---------------------------------------------------------------

Have less than a handful of working years left..Looking forward to those options... :thumbsup:

I did stop at the range to tweak my hunting load..before hand
brass peep mounted on tang just behind barrel..
The 42" sight radius helps.

wattlebuster said:
Dan for the last 4 days its been 70 with high wind and lots of rain here in redneckville. Congrats to ya :thumbsup:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hear its been warm for January in the south.

Roundball,
Here in the land of Yankees, squirrels don't get up early in the winter and us hunters wait until it warms up a little. Fact is Dan, may have gotten out a little earlier than I would have. Yesterday it was too cold and windy here to want to chase squirrels.

Dan,
Nice looking squirrel rifle!

First 2 and last 2 hours of the day seem to have the most squirrels activity here.
I don't see many squirrels while out deer hunting in the little woodlot I use...and after already logging 28 deer hunting trips through November / December, I have to really want to go when January rolls around to justify the effort and expense just for the remote possibility of 1, maybe 2 squirrels.
I might go one more time but am already feeling the urge to start the weekly range trips again instead...

Took the flintlock out Saturday. 75 degrees and 35 mph. Didnt see anything. Figured it was to hot. Even the tree rats didnt feed. Wish it snowed down here. Guess I need to go back to Pa. for hunting.

Great group of photos Dan. :thumbsup: Thanks for posting & glad you had a great hunt. Like Wattlebuster said it's been warm & windy down here. But it's cooling down tonight and the ground is good and wet from all the rain so I plan on going after a few Squirrels myself. High in the 30 & 40's for the rest of the week. :grin:

I wish I knew how to make a screensaver from one of your photos. They are absolutely beautiful. Two years ago, we moved from Indiana to Texas near Austin. The only squirrels I see around here are in town. I miss the beautiful snowy woods of Indiana and your photos remind me so much of where I used to hunt.

arw22lr said:
Enjoyed the photos.
What state are you hunting in?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks!
East central Wisconsin

Those are Very Pretty pictures. I have to say to a Texan they look mighty cold! But then again iwe had sleet here with a high of 35! Geo. T.

Billnpatti said:
I wish I knew how to make a screensaver from one of your photos. They are absolutely beautiful. Two years ago, we moved from Indiana to Texas near Austin. The only squirrels I see around here are in town. I miss the beautiful snowy woods of Indiana and your photos remind me so much of where I used to hunt.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I tell my wife I'm going squirrel hunting but!Just so peaceful in the woods.
Last season....
001-2.jpg

003.jpg

011.jpg

Back