• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sabots and smoothbores

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evildog

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've heard from a couple other cannon shooters that accuracy with a smoothbore can be significantly improved by adding a sabot to the ball.... not that they have actually done this themselves. Have any of you sucessfully used sabots in your smoothbore? If so, I would sure like to hear how you went about it.

I only have a one inch gun and I have always patched my balls but I do know someone who does use sabots on his two inch Parrot Gun. He makes them out of Bondo or auto body filler. I believe he uses a piece of PVC pipe to mold them in and uses a ball to form the end. When the bondo is cured he cuts them in half down the center and peals the PVC off.
when shooting he uses a tin foil powder charge and slides the split sabot together down the barrel on top of the charge and then rams the ball on top of that and tamps it with the ram rod to seat the ball.
When the gun is shot the sabot splits apart as it leaves the barrel leaving the ball to fly on it's own. (I'm told if you don't split the sabot that it will stick to the ball and will effect the acuracy of the gun.
I have never seen this person shoot with out the sabot but I know it is very acurate with it.

Back