• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Minie Ball Tests In Smoothbores

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t.emard

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I read a while back that there were tests with Minie balls in smoothbores during the Civil War, but I can't find any actual historic documents on it. I'm hoping someone here might have an idea of who did these tests, and better yet, access to their results. As far as I recall it was an American testing in old 1842 smoothbores, trying to see if it was worth the effort to equip soldiers with minie balls even if they hadn't yet been issued with the new rifle-muskets.

I already asked the National Archives, I'm sure they'll reply before Christmas... 2040.

Look up "Nessler Ball", I don't believe they were much of a success.

Buck and ball seemed to be the troops favorite!

Bullets, Projectiles, & Sabots

nesslerball.jpg

The thing that confuses me is that Foster slugs provide reasonably good accuracy out to around 60 yards or so; What is it about the Minie Ball that prevents that??

Most Foster Slugs have rifling ribs on the outside of the slug to create some spin stabilization. Without spin stabilization on a non-uniform projectile (think center of gravity), anything greater than 25 yards is a crapshoot.

Picture throwing a football - a nice tight spiral spin and it flies far and accurate. No or little spin and it flies like a wounded duck.

My understanding is that the "rifling ribs" do not impart spin; they are designed to allow the slug to slightly crush to allow the slug to go through choked barrels.

ADK Bigfoot

Slow motion filming by Taofledermaus showed that Foster slugs do produce spin. Not very fast but enough to help stability {750rpm}.
It does seem to require a tight fit to the barrel as the spin is caused by friction against the barrel. That's according to the original patent.

IronHand

Latest posts

Back