• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RWS or CCI Caps for Repro Revolvers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I usually use Remington #10 caps on my Uberti revolvers but Cabelas and Midways won't ship them to Massachusetts.

There are other dealers who will ship to my state, but they don't sell Rem.

Has anyone used RWS caps on theirs? They make things difficult, no simple 10 or 11. What number (code) do you use if you like them?

Anything else you like? CCI?

Can you tell I'm desperate? I really appreciate any positive help you can swing my way.

I use whatever I can get my hands on. When I find a brand that I like, I buy a couple thousand at a time. If I have a few duds, I chalk it up as just that. :idunno:

I used to use CCI, then CCI Mag caps,, then I found RWS.
The RWS Dynamite Nobel #1075 are hands down the best, most reliable cap I've used in the past 30yrs. They are a #11 size cap.

swathdiver said:
It may be wise to have cones sized for each of the two popular cap sizes for obvious reasons.
this!

I have #10 and #11 nipples for my fantasy .44 Pietta, 1851.

I prefer the Nobel and the Remington caps, but you shoot what you have on hand. :wink:

Dynamit-Nobel RWS caps have long been known as the most powerful percussion cap made.

They held this position until CCI introduced their "Magnum" percussion caps which equal the RWS caps in power.

It might be because the Dynamit-Nobel RWS caps are made in Germany or, just because they can, but the RWS caps usually cost more than the caps made in the US.

As long as I could get the regular-strength caps, I preferred RWS. These days, all that's available are the plus-strength caps, so I switched to CCI.

I was in a Bass Pro Shop today and saw Winchester Magnum caps, #11's, for $2.99/100. Are they too powerful for an Uberti 1851?

nhmoose said:
USMA65 said:
I was in a Bass Pro Shop today and saw Winchester Magnum caps, #11's, for $2.99/100. Are they too powerful for an Uberti 1851?
Buy all you can at that price!!!!!!!

I plan to do that Tuesday when I go by there.

All my cap guns are equipped with Slix-Shot nipples which are made for Remington #10 caps.
I have tried CCI#11 and RWS 1075 with no success. Both are good caps, don't misunderstand, but do not work on Slix-Shot nipples.
So I prefer the reliability of Remington #10 and don't use others.
I have not tried the Winchester caps but might pick up a can next time i am at Bass Pro Shop as an experiment and expect failure.
WB

Latest posts

Back