• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Roundballs in 1/28 twist?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walks with fire

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I did a little shooting with roundballs today with an RMC flintlock which has a Green Mountian 1/28 twist barrel with around .005 deep grooves.

I did limited shooting with 60 grain and 80 grains of Goex 2f and accuracy was pretty good I thought. I will do further testing but I am interested if anyone else has done much roundball shooting with the 1/28 twist and what results did you have?

Mr. Hinnant, I was checking out some of your recent posts and noticed you own a couple of fast twist modern black powder rifles that you use for shooting roundballs. Your experience with such things is of interest to me if you are of the inclination to share your findings. I am using .495 ball and .017 pillow tick patch lubed with Lehigh Valley.

It was a little windy when shooting and I expected it to have an affect on my horizonal grouping but it seemed the wind had less effect on the ball when shot out of the 1/28 twist? The groups were around 2" at 50 yards but it was almost one on top of the other with no side to side movement at all.

Anyone have experience with shooting roundballs out of this twist?

Glad to see your post showing success with the round ball in a faster twist than normal

I've a 38" twist barrel that shoots round balls pretty darned good. Not quite as good as my 48" twist barrel, but good enough that I'm usin' it for the duel. :winking:

My A&H Mountain Rilfe has the same 1:28 twist and shoots round balls better than it shoots a lot of conicals. I use 60 grains of FFg behind a .490 with .017 unlubed patch and I get about 6" groups at 50 yards offhand.

My cousin has a 45 cal. in a 1/28 twist. He shoots roundball very well. Shoots better than his plastic bullets. "Power belt"

I've spent a little time shooting PRB in a .50 caliber 1 in 32" twist. 50 grains of 2f Goex under .490 ball and pillow ticking cut at the muzzle. Shooting offhand at 25 and 50 yard targets I was getting pretty results.

Old Salt

.490 ball, .010 Wonder patch and 30 gr. of Pyrodex P makes a terrific small game and plinking load in my 1:28, 1:38, & 1:48 T/Cs. Can shoot it all afternoon without wiping the barrel or losing accuracy.

Never tried for a big-game PRB load in the fast twist barrels. I seem to recall 70 gr. RS doing well in 1:48 if the patch was .015 and I used a bore button.
Bob

I tried some Remington sabots in my 1:28 flinter and accuracy was horrible. They are very hard to load too. My home-cast Lee Improved Minies were a huge disappointment as well.

I did try .490 roundballs with .015 patch out of my unspeakable gun with 1 in 28" twist. Result was about 12" spraying at 50 yards for any charge from 50 to 90 grains while some saboted bullets group better than 1.5". Since that is my only .50 rifle, I gave the rest of the balls away.

Steve

Back