• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Twist Questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Resolve

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Good morning from the Verde River,

Some questions on rifling twist (in rifles, not pistols or revolvers). Right or wrong, in the past the extent of my knowledge regarding rifling twists was:
  • 1:66/1:56 were slow twists and best for patched round ball.
  • 1:48 was an all-purpose faster twist which shot both round balls and conicals effectively.
  • 1:32/1:28 and lower were very fast twists used for sabots.
On looking at past posts I am seeing that it isn’t as simple as that, there are more variables involved. So, I have some questions.
  • Does barrel length affect the accuracy more so in a slower or faster twist?
  • Does the 1:66 twist require a larger load for effective accuracy?
  • If you had 2 barrels in the same caliber and length; one a 1:28 and the other a 1:48 twist, would the 1:48 require a larger charge for effective accuracy?
  • If you had 2 barrels in the same caliber and twist; one 28” long and one 36” long, would they both require the same charge for effective accuracy?
Let me provide some background here that might help explain what I’m driving at. Soon I will be purchasing another rifle as I need to start shooting a lower caliber. It will not be used for hunting, mainly just plinking, and shooting sheet silhouettes at 25 to 75 yards. I would prefer it to be 32, 36, or 40 caliber. Possibly even 45. I like shooting smaller target loads. For what I am doing effective accuracy to me is hitting a clay pigeon at 50 yards. As I do not plan on going to Innsbruck to compete in any Olympic Biathalons I don’t need one-inch groups at 100 yards.

Thanks for any info,

R

Length of projectile is the biggest factor with twist. Bullets that are heavy for caliber tend to be longer and need a faster twist to stabilize. Hence the conicals shooting better with a faster twist rate as the conicals are longer than a round ball and need the higher rate of spin around the center axis.

With all of that said, given you are looking for minute of clay pigeon at 50 yards with a PRB @rich pierce hits the nail on the head and that will give you a much wider selection of guns to pick from.

I shoot carbines and I look for faster twist as I shoot conicals. I have found the appropriate powder charge for accuracy is more dependent upon the "personality" of the gun than twist rate.

No need to overthink it. In those small calibers go with a 1:48 and shoot round ball and you’ll be happy.

And go with a .40, that way you can have a 3/8 ramrod, which won't go down a .36, less chance of breakage with a larger diameter ramrod...Also, go with cut rifling, instead of button...Cut rifling will be .012-.018 or so deep, it holds the patch better than the shallow, button rifling...With my .40, I can go down to .25grs FFF for small game hunting or up to 60grs FFF for larger stuff...

Good morning from the Verde River,

Some questions on rifling twist (in rifles, not pistols or revolvers). Right or wrong, in the past the extent of my knowledge regarding rifling twists was:
  • 1:66/1:56 were slow twists and best for patched round ball.
  • 1:48 was an all-purpose faster twist which shot both round balls and conicals effectively.
  • 1:32/1:28 and lower were very fast twists used for sabots.

So slower twists are found in some original hunting rifles for round ball, and even in some military rifles for conical Minnie Ball. Part of the equation is the depth and width of the rifling. Some original rifling grooves we'd call "thin" in width, compared to modern rifling. The rifles that benefit from very slow twists often used whopping huge powder loads with patched round balls.

Then you also have the "gain twist" barrels which finish giving the patched round ball a twist of 1:48 or sometimes faster.

1:48 was a super common twist rate before conical bullets started to be commonly found. It was in the 1970's that manufacturers found that it also worked for both conicals and round ball, so they marketed them that way ..., a compromise ; good for both...

Faster twist rates were well known in Germany during the 18th and 19th century, BUT these were on a lot of target rifles, and a fast twist rate might cause, as the British documented in a manual in 1802..., a disagreeable recoil... (Likey due to torque from the stock against the shooter's cheek)
On looking at past posts I am seeing that it isn’t as simple as that, there are more variables involved. So, I have some questions.
  • Does barrel length affect the accuracy more so in a slower or faster twist?
  • Does the 1:66 twist require a larger load for effective accuracy?
  • If you had 2 barrels in the same caliber and length; one a 1:28 and the other a 1:48 twist, would the 1:48 require a larger charge for effective accuracy?
  • If you had 2 barrels in the same caliber and twist; one 28” long and one 36” long, would they both require the same charge for effective accuracy?

So for the spin to give your round ball an advantage, the ball needs to turn 1/4 of a revolution before exiting the barrel. This was discovered by the British when designing the Baker rifle. After that, it's all good. Conical bullets are a different matter.

The twists slower than a 1:48 allow for a really large charge, but since we're not using hand rifled barrels, the rifling of a 1:48 twist will handle some pretty good loads. Now if you are James Forsyth in 1867, trying to drop a rhino with a 4 bore launching a ball that weighs about 4 ounces.., you will likely want that 1:108 - 1:120 twist rate barrel and be shooting 250 grains of powder.

question 1
Barrel length doesn't really effect accuracy in two loads going exactly the same muzzle velocity. Accuracy is then more of a function of consistent MV, and how well the shooter's eyesight interacts with the sights. Normally, the farther apart the front and rear sight..., the easier it is for a human eye to judge an accurate shot. This is called the "sight plane".

question 2
Nope, the 1:66 twist rate does not need a heavy load when using a round ball, BUT you might find it does not stabilize a conical well depending on how the rifling was cut and the design of the bullet. Some folks that report that their "slow twist" barrel seems to work better with a conical when a heavy charge is used are actually getting "better" results because of the quicker flight time to the target = less error by a not fully stable bullet. Sometimes this also applies to round ball for the same reason... faster flight = less error at the target...

question 3
Nope, the spin rate isn't doing anything for you after the bullet is stabilized. It's not like a modern, jacketed bullet.

question 4
Again, the effective accuracy is going to be more from your eye interaction with the sights, than the load, although the lighter the load, the greater the flight time to the target, and thus the more that gravity will act on the ball, and the more time for a cross wind to push on the ball. So your eye may be able to be more precise when lining up the sights on the target with the longer barrel.

Now coupled with that..., how consistent is the load from shot to shot, and how consistent the muzzle velocity ??? Meaning..., you have well made barrel, a good set of sights, and you can see them well. Your rifle action is fast as well. So then..., when you measure out the powder, how consistent is your method from shot to shot? Is it good? OK great..., then..., how well is your patched bullet sealed, and are you getting very close to the same muzzle velocity for each shot?

Consistency is the key. It was 250 years ago, and is today, even in modern stuff. The farther away the target, the more the inconsistency shows up on the target. My son can reach out 1000 yards using something modern, not because he has a special twist rater compared to the next guy who doesn't hit much of anything..., but because my son has developed nearly identical loads for his modern stuff. I can get some amazing accuracy from my balck powder 1:48 twist rifle as well as my 1:56 twist rate rifle..., when I'm very careful about my loads, and especially from the bench with the rifle pretty much locked into the same position for every shot.... which = very similar shooting conditions.

..., put me behind the sight, holding the rifle on top of the bench instead of using a rest and sandbags etc..., the results on the target change showing less accuracy...

You will have happy results with a .440 ball out to 75 yards and likely out to 100
You can get the same results or maybe even better with a .350 ball BUT the wind will not be your "friend"
A .390 ball will give you a lighter recoil with an identical load to the .440, and they are often used by target shooters, and "buck the wind" better than the .350... but not as well as a .440.

LD

Last edited:
So - I've read the posts a couple of times, and think I get (and agree with) the gist of it. My question to the forum is concerning the TC Cherokee in .32 with the 1:30? twist. It seems to be a universal experience (mine rifle included) that the faster twist gives it a wider range of powder charges that yield above average accuracy. Mine works very well, shooting into an inch or less @ 35yd with all loads from 8-10 grains all the way to 45 plus grains (never tried higher). So 10gr to 40gr would be a 400% increase. Applied to a .50 cal that would be like saying the rifle shoots with the same excellent accuracy from 50gr to 200gr. Others may have had different experience, but none of the .50s I've owned were that flexible. Any ideas on what makes the Cherokees tick? I am going to have C. Burton make a custom barrel for a project I'm working on, and I've held off because I'm still undecided on caliber and twist. Caliber will be partially dictated by the profile I'm working with, but I am undecided about twist rate - partly because of my experience with the Cherokee. 30 twist to .32 bore gives a twist rate thats .9375 of bore. That yields some interesting numbers - like 1:38 for .40cal, 1:42 for .45cal, 1:47 for .50cal, 1:54 for .58cal. But I haven't forgot what Hanshi said one time about the "form" of the rifling being much more important than the twist. So I am really interested in members' thoughts.

Last edited:
C.
I have done alot of reading about this (was on that very site earlier before I posted) and figure the stabilization data may be somewhat relevent to conicals, but figure it mostly goes out the window for round balls. The 1/4 turn LD mentioned above, does indeed work out - taking ball/bore diameter into account. Could be the Cherokee is just a "pink unicorn".

@Resolve

I understood that you will be plinking and shooting silhouettes, but I did not get what type of projectile you plan to use. Patched round balls, or conical bullets, or has that decision been made yet?

If you need to knock over silhouettes at 75 yards, you'll need a projectile with enough energy to do it. That may affect your decision regarding caliber for round balls.

One other thing about twist rate is that the smaller round balls benefit from a relatively faster twist than large round balls.

In the 19th century, one turn in four feet was a very common rate of twist for hunting rifles, even in the larger calibers. It was really in the late 1960's and 1970's that ordinary shooters became interested in performance, with higher velocities. If you load too much powder, a round ball will theoretically skate across the lands if the twist is too fast. People started asking for slower twists so they could load more powder and get higher velocities and still impart spin to the ball, so we started seeing more barrels with twists slower than 1:48... One turn in 60", 66", 70", or 72" became common and remain so today.

I'm not an expert or even a very good shot, but I would think patched round balls out of a .40 or .45 caliber barrel, with fairly deep grooves and a twist of one turn in 48", would be fun to shoot and would probably meet your needs.

One guy's opinion...

Notchy Bob

During the black powder revival boom in the 1970s in the lead up to the Bicentennial, there was no “institutional memory” of hunting big game with round balls at modest velocity. All the gun writers were center fire gurus teethed on ballistic co-efficients and muzzle velocity and foot pounds of energy precisely when “magnum-itis” was rampant. You could barely kill a 120 pound whitetail with less than a .magnum in those days. Zero actual field experience with round balls at modest velocities on big game led to some crazy (or at least unnecessary) practices becoming established. It’s still going on. Every deer I’ve ever killed except the first one was taken with a patched round ball at modest velocities.

All this is to say that slow twists, as Bob stated above, were used with the idea that shooters wanted 2000 fps in their round ball guns. It’s just not necessary.

Every genuine J&S or S Hawken rifle I know of used a 1:48 twist whether it was a small caliber lighter rifle for the local trade or a bigger bore rifle for going west.

Has anyone ever noted what "form" of rifling the Hawkin's used, ie wide or narrow lands, number of lands, depth of groove? I had heard they used a 1:48 twist, and thought that a lot of their rifles were .48" to .52" bore, aside from the smaller "squirrel" rifles for local trade.

During the black powder revival boom in the 1970s in the lead up to the Bicentennial, there was no “institutional memory” of hunting big game with round balls at modest velocity. All the gun writers were center fire gurus teethed on ballistic co-efficients and muzzle velocity and foot pounds of energy precisely when “magnum-itis” was rampant. You could barely kill a 120 pound whitetail with less than a .magnum in those days. Zero actual field experience with round balls at modest velocities on big game led to some crazy (or at least unnecessary) practices becoming established. It’s still going on. Every deer I’ve ever killed except the first one was taken with a patched round ball at modest velocities.
As a matter of fact..., I've seen a vintage TC Hawken manual, from I think their first or second year selling Hawkens. They included load data for double, patched round ball for their .45. The shooter was to load the rifle with a patched .440 round ball, and then add another patched round ball on top of that, seated against the first round ball, of course.

I could never find out if that was TC's idea..., that they didn't think the .440 ball had enough mass..., or if they had been told that none of the guys buying the Hawkens would think the .440 ball by itself would work on deer, so the added procedure and loading data was there to help sell the .45's. It was discontinued when it became pretty much a nation wide law that the muzzleloader couldn't launch more than one projectile from a barrel at a deer..., and perhaps some folks that knew better, told TC that two .440 ball weren't necessary.

LD

So here are some examples of rifling old and new...,

Here is a hand cut barrel. Note how thin the grooves, and that there are an odd number of grooves because the land opposite the groove was needed to support the shaft holding the cutting bit...

HAND CUT Rifling.JPG

Here is another antique. Again very thin rifling but an even number of grooves..., yet this is hand cut for sure....,
How did the barrel maker achieve this ???

HAND CUT Rifling B.JPG

The cutting machine used for the above barrel has grooves opposite while being a hand cutting machine, because (I'm told) the machine had two cutting bits, opposite of each other, thus they cut at the same time and supported each other while cutting. Saved manufacturing time too, reducing rifling time by almost half.

Here is another barrel done with a double cutter by hand...

MACHINE RIFLING EARLY B.JPG

Here is a modern cut barrel.... NOTE the grooves are now wider than the lands, a completer reversal of the situation in the originals

MACHINE RIFLING D.JPG

Now here is round bottom rifling. NOTE how although the grooves are not quite as wide as the lands, they are also rounded at the bottom. My personal rifle has rifling done this way, It's a lot easier to do, I'm told by a machinist, as it reduces wear on the cutting tool edge, and companies market this as easier to keep clean.

MACHINE RIFLING B.JPG

Here's a machine cut barrel with grooves very much wider, than the lands.....

MACHINE RIFLING C.JPG

Here's a machine cut barrel where the rifling is a bit closer in similarity to it's antique ancestors having grooves a bit thinner than the lands... but still wider than the antiques... these also look really "shallow" to me, and I don't know if this would be good for a round ball ....

MACHINE RIFLING A.JPG

LD

Has anyone ever noted what "form" of rifling the Hawkin's used, ie wide or narrow lands, number of lands, depth of groove? I had heard they used a 1:48 twist, and thought that a lot of their rifles were .48" to .52" bore, aside from the smaller "squirrel" rifles for local trade.
Narrow grooves, wide lands, some careful relieving at the muzzle. Unlike today’s funneling, many originals haves short section at the muzzle where both the lands and grooves are “funneled” and appear just like the rest of the barrel but are about 0.010 to 0.020” wider at the muzzle. No crown, no countersink. Often folks take a caliber measurement at the muzzle on originals but it’s bigger there than 2” down.

This is NOT due to muzzlewear from the ramrod. If it was the lands would be worn down and groove depth would look minimal.

Thanks so much Dave for the pictures, and Rich for the information. Somehow I had it backwords in my head, thinking antiques were like Dave's picture #6 with wide grooves / narrow lands. Makes sense that it would take less work to cut narrow grooves than to hand cut wide grooves.

So... any thoughts on how different forms and twists effect the 'bandwidth' of the sweet spot? I have noticed as a general rule that in threads asking about accurate loads - people shooting barrels with very slow twists (Rice barrels in particular?) find their 'most accurate loads' on the upper end of powder charges. Is there a correlation that can be explained, or is it simply a consequence of individual barrels?

I just checked my Cherokee and noticed something I hadn't before. That little .32 has 8 lands / grooves. Shine a light down the bore and it looks like square bottom Marlin micro-goove! The grooves a pretty shallow and almost imperceptably wider than the lands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back