• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round Balls Out Of A Bird Gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walkabout

40 Cal
Reaction score
So I just got this older Pedersoli 12 gauge and it weighs about 5.5 pounds. Obviously, this is intended to be an upland bird gun. Should I have have any qualms about shooting round balls, besides loosening molars? The bores are supposedly improved cylinder, it says 18.3 under both barrels. Thanks

Actually a round ball load using a .690 ball would be almost exactly the same as 1⅛ of bird shot. So there would be no reason your load should shake your fillings loose and cause a nose bleed.

18.3 or 18,3 are metric designations of mm's for the bores. It means .7205 bore aka 12, so mike the bores at the muzzle and if you get a smaller than .720 reading then you have a choked pair of barrels. You may have cylinder bore barrels, which works just fine too.

LD

Interesting, I'm inclined to think that a round ball is going to generate more pressure, thus more recoil. My 6 pound unmentionable pounds the cr** out of me with slug loads. Thanks

Interesting, I'm inclined to think that a round ball is going to generate more pressure, thus more recoil. My 6 pound unmentionable pounds the cr** out of me with slug loads. Thanks
Slugs in breechloaders are wound up because they can. It's not because they produce more pressure by nature, they are just pushed quicker.

I have a short barreled (28") trade gun ish 12ga. Not sure who made it but the lock is Italian.

Shoots #5 shot very well. Won't throw a round ball well enough to make it worth while, so I don't have to worry about getting beat by recoil.

Pressure testing of equal weight payloads (ball or shot) has shown that pressures are higher with shot loads. It is believed to be due to the shot charge "squatting" under acceleration and trying to expand radially. The round ball can not do this, as it is a single mass of lead. I've found that a 12 ga. ball at 1200 fps is more than enough to kill a deer, the ball punches a large hole straight through. Recoil is no worse than a trap load, an ounce of lead is an ounce of lead. Modern day deer slugs are loaded to 15-1600 fps, quite lethal but brutal to the shoulder. You don't need all that speed!

Same here out of my .12ga New England Fowler. It wasn't unpleasant at all. But building a .54 rifle so it will be a dedicated shotgun from now on.

My 20 ga flintlock smoothbore has a rear sight and is aimed just like a rifle. The gun has killed deer DRT and is shot only with a 330 grn round ball patch with thin material. Average three shot group at 50 yards is under 3". Loaded with 3F the velocity is just a little short of 1300 fps.

Sure, but that's using modern smokeless powder which is a lot more powerful.

Pressure testing of equal weight payloads (ball or shot) has shown that pressures are higher with shot loads. It is believed to be due to the shot charge "squatting" under acceleration and trying to expand radially. The round ball can not do this, as it is a single mass of lead. I've found that a 12 ga. ball at 1200 fps is more than enough to kill a deer, the ball punches a large hole straight through. Recoil is no worse than a trap load, an ounce of lead is an ounce of lead. Modern day deer slugs are loaded to 15-1600 fps, quite lethal but brutal to the shoulder. You don't need all that speed!
Push a large pure lead ball enough and it will change shape! Radially. Especially the bigger they get.

Push a large pure lead ball enough and it will change shape! Radially. Especially the bigger they get.
True, depending on the amount of force applied, but compared to loose shot of equal weight, there is a lot more lead in contact with the barrel walls and thus more friction.

LD

My 20 ga flintlock smoothbore has a rear sight and is aimed just like a rifle. The gun has killed deer DRT and is shot only with a 330 grn round ball patch with thin material. Average three shot group at 50 yards is under 3". Loaded with 3F the velocity is just a little short of 1300 fps.
Hanshi, If I could assure myself I could shoot a group like that, I would start a lightweight Fusil de Chasse soon; y'all are piquing my interest.

One of my originals is a single barrel Fowler in 12 ga (far left in photo). I shoot a patched .690 RB and 70 grains Swiss 1 1/2. I keep all shots on an 8.5 x 11 inch paper target at 30-40 yards. Planning on taking it on my muzzle loader hunt next week

Attachments

• 6D3AF8E4-783B-42ED-B9B8-EE8A39136C4D.jpeg
    6D3AF8E4-783B-42ED-B9B8-EE8A39136C4D.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back