• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round Ball: Hornady vs. Speer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used both. I buy the least expensive box.

Me too and I've never noticed a difference between the two, even when shooting from the bench.

This is not to question anyone elses results; just an observation of my own results with my own rifle and pistol.

I have mostly used Speers and once in a while Hornady, can't tell the difference but with my eyes who knows! :grin:

I've used both but I sure like that yellow plastic Speer box, it does'nt pop open like the other one does.

No we're down to the REAL difference! I like those yellow plastic boxed too. They last forever, while the red cardboard ones don't last long at all. I use the yellow for all sorts of things, but the red go into the trash the moment they're empty.

Most popular thing for me to put in the yellow boxes? My own homecast balls.

Thanks for all of your input.

It looks like I'll need to buy both brands in .490 and .495 and see what happens at the range.

I got in contact with a local guy who makes his own bullets. He said that if I buy the mold of the cal. I want, he'll make as many as I need. This will be the cheaper way to go.

- F/C

FallingCrows said:
I got in contact with a local guy who makes his own bullets. He said that if I buy the mold of the cal. I want, he'll make as many as I need. This will be the cheaper way to go.

- F/C

Without a doubt. For less than the cost of a couple of boxes of balls, you can pick up a LEE round ball mold. For that matter, you could already save money if you bought BOTH sizes of moulds rather than the 4 boxes of ball you plan to buy.

Just be sure to use pure lead in casting the balls.

Gotta back that up! Throw some money at molds and the local guy,,go watch him cast a few times and never look back! It's too easy and you'll have quality you can reli on the rest of your days :thumbsup:

Now, you got my interest peeked.

Can't be that hard, right?
I'm sure there are instruction on how to do it too.

I'm looking all the stoves available for less then $100.

Then the moulds are only $20 each
Then the accessories.
So for around $100.00 I could make all the round balls I want

Oops. I just hijacked my own thread oh well
Thanks for all you help

Or...as a middle or the road step between Hornady and doing it yourself, Google up Eddie May in Georgia...commercial cast ball maker...sells to Dixie, sells up at Friendship, etc...prices are excellent...I've used a few hundred of his .395 and .600 size

I have been using the same cast iron pot since 1974 on my kichen gas stove to melt lead. It holds a little over 5 lb. I also have both Lee and Lyman molds and prefer the lee.

P

Back