• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rough In or Out??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turtle2

40 Cal
Reaction score
I'm starting to make my possibles bag which is continuing on with my fur trade era persona. My question is, do possible bags typically have the rough side of the leather (elk hide in this case) in or out?
The research I did on guns sleeves told me they rough was typically out. Does that carry over to the possibles bag?

Thanks.

-Turtle2-

The choice is yours. Some of my customers request smooth side in. They usually say its because the interior can be kept clean easier, or because the rough out is quieter in brush. Otrhers say smooth out because a majority of the old bags were made that way. As a bag maker, I nod and smile to both viewpoints.

You might put smooth in and the cover with a fur-on skin for the out side. Quite and pleasing to the hand and eye.

Or you could put smooth out and line the inside with cloth for a finely finished bag.

Or make a hard sided cartridge box.

Or...

The point is that the options are endless. You can do what pleases you aesthetically or works best for you.

CS

The smooth side is out when the hide is on the animal before it was skinned... :hmm:

I have an elk skin pipe bag with the smooth side out and it looks great, however, it all comes down to personal choice...

20+ year old elk pipe bag, smooth side out...
2.jpg

Musketman said:
The smooth side is out when the hide is on the animal before it was skinned... :hmm:

Also, the hair side is also tight grained and more naturally water proof. The rough, flesh side, will absorb water more easily.

But, as others have said, for what most people do with them, it really doesn't matter.

and let's not forget that good brain-tan doesn't really have a smooth side.

take care, daniel

This is true about BT but you can tell which was which and I have found that what was the skin side is easier to sew beads and quills to than the flesh side,but as stated above there is no right or wrong on this one.another consideration is that the use of BT or Faux BT is probably overdone now when compared to the originals.

djnye said:
and let's not forget that good brain-tan doesn't really have a smooth side.

Correct and brain-tanned is great for soft, supple bags or clothing, as opposed to a stiffer tanned leather used in shooting bags, or any application where you want the bag to hold it's shape.

Great information guys and thank you.

Musketman - That's a great looking pipe bag.

Anybody have any other bag pictures?

No old women in place of the word "bag".

-Turtle2-

For what its worth I would go with the smooth side out, we are supposed to be trying to replica the originals and I think most were smooth side out. The "Rough" side out was probably brain tanned mistaken for rough side out- just a hunch.

I always preferred them like the animal wore it, smooth side out. It will accept waterproofing better.

Some really old leather has lost its smooth outer layer and looks 'rough out'; hence the impression that many bags were constructed this way. Time is not kind to the grain surface if the leather is not fed with oils, saddle soap or various waxes.

Turtle2 said:
Anybody have any other bag pictures? -Turtle2-
here's one out of commercial/chrome tanned elk hide with a chamois lining (aka imitation brain tan). It was an experiment on my part how well I could "age" chrome tanned elk. Somewhat more work than it was worth IMO - using vegtan would have been less trouble, but then I always did like a challenge and it looks pretty good even if not 100% PC for pre-1870's when chrome tanned leather first became widely available......
here is the front with the matching elk rawhide covered horn....
murray-pouch-horn-001.jpg

the inside front....
murray-pouch-horn-002.jpg

the back side.....
murray-pouch-horn-003.jpg

a closeup of the front.....
murray-pouch-horn-002.jpg

unfortunately the pics don't really show the aging that well....hope it gives you some ideas......

Latest posts

Back