• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Weird??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Two Feathers

62 Cal.
MLF Sponsor
Reaction score
Howdy folks Two Feathers here with a question?
I'm making a shot flask (rather repairing one) with an English shot charger head (supplied by my customer) and it's something I've never done before.
Here's my question. I was told by a guy that when he water molds bags he uses a balloon and an air compressor to stretch the bag into shape? I can find NO info. on this anywhere? Does anyone here do it that way? I use sand, but I own 2 compressors and if it makes things easier or better, then I'd like to give it a shot.
Can anyone tell me where I can find info. on this strange idea? A video would be great! I just don't see a kid's rubber balloon being strong enough to apply that kind of force without abrading itself to pieces inside a rough leather bag?
Thank you in advance.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Shot flasks were made by molding the leather. Certainly not an easy method if you have to make the mold. I think I recall reading of the balloon method a number of years back. It would be easy to try.

rafterob:
I've never tried making a wooden mold. I use sand packed into a wet/damp bag after I stitch it. Getting the throat or neck stitched right up to the end is rough.
My sand method has been working for 40+ years, but I thought the balloon thing sounded intriguing?
Thank you for your input.
God bless:
Two Feathers

image.jpg

Here is a small bag I did yesterday. First attempt. I stitched it up, fill it with water and dumped it out then went to the garage and blew it up with the nozzle on the air compressor. I stuck a plug in the end and hung it to dry overnight. I still need to stain it and make a plug. The water compressor thing worked pretty well. I didn’t put anything inside after I expanded it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
View attachment 239862
Here is a small bag I did yesterday. First attempt. I stitched it up, fill it with water and dumped it out then went to the garage and blew it up with the nozzle on the air compressor. I stuck a plug in the end and hung it to dry overnight. I still need to stain it and make a plug. The water compressor thing worked pretty well. I didn’t put anything inside after I expanded it.
I could NEVER get mine THAT airtight?
Two Feathers

It wasn’t airtight. I did glue the seam area before stitching though. It did expand and blow up nice with air. It contracted slightly as the pressure dropped. A tied balloon would likely have resulted in a little more volume.

I glue mine also before stitching. So far all the ball bags I've made were from softer leather and not molded. Alot like an 18th century change purse. Been planning on making some like this but too many irons in the fire lately. I think the balloon idea is worth trying at least.

rafterob:
I've never tried making a wooden mold. I use sand packed into a wet/damp bag after I stitch it. Getting the throat or neck stitched right up to the end is rough.
My sand method has been working for 40+ years, but I thought the balloon thing sounded intriguing?
Thank you for your input.
God bless:
Two Feathers
If it works, why change? There are a couple sayings: "Don't mess with success." and "Dance with wat brung ya".

Latest posts

Back