• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED Ron Long Lock - Or parts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm trying to bring back to life an old Hawken perc rifle that has an old Ron Long LH lock. Unfortunately the sear needs to be replaced. If anyone has one or parts for one, I'd be interested in buying. Again, a left handed lock. TOW has a replacement, but it wasn't exactly same as Ron's. Or if someone with fabrication skills can make one, even better. I still have the sear. It was bent and it looked like they tried to straighten out without heating and cracked it. It definitely won't hold up. The lock is marked inside with "Ron Long Lock - Denver"

That news hit me deep for some reason. As I was sitting here hold the lock in my hand trying, I saw your post. Interesting that it makes you feel more committed to fixing it. I've heard nothing but positive when it came to his locks. He may not have been a 18th or 19th century legend in the history of gun making, but still a legend to remember a person with that dedication that kept the history alive.

I started shooting with him in 1978 at the Colorado state shoot he said at that time that no one made a good lock so he started making his own.
he was one of the best lock makers that ever lived so fix that lock up and make some smoke in his memory.
his funeral is next Friday in Cheyenne WY.
Its going to be a tuff one

Well, I decided to take it on my own to fix sear. I squared up a small steal rod in the forge and then filed a bit. Then I brazed it on. I know most will tell me it won't last, but in brazing something this small, you have to make sure to use the flux, but also that the material flow in-between both parts, not just around edges and that you get that temp up on both pieces. Will a little more filing, it seems to be holding great. I've cycle the lock more then 50 times and the sear hasn't bent or shown and cracks at all. Will see of it does on the range this weekend. here's some pics and a short video.

IMG_3380.JPG
IMG_3383.jpg
IMG_3386.jpg

IMG_3380.JPG
IMG_3383.jpg
IMG_3386.jpg

Back