Roller bearing doesn't roll

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Columbus, Jan 6, 2020.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jan 6, 2020 #1

Columbus

Columbus

Columbus

32 Cal.

Looking over the pistol I bought yesterday and found the hammer roller bearing doesn't roll, can't get it to turn at all. Short of punching out the pin and trying to free it up I don't see any other thing to do. Doesn't effect function that I can see, but is there or would there be longer term adverse wear on that part or the mainspring?

20200106_092307_resized.jpg

2. Jan 6, 2020 #2

Steve Blancard

Steve Blancard

Steve Blancard

40 Cal.

It should definitely roll. I'd punch it out and free it up.

3. Jan 6, 2020 #3

Gun Tramp

Gun Tramp

Gun Tramp

40 Cal MLF Supporter

The pin may or may not wish to come out. Patience here; I'd try a drop of break-free clp and some very gentle tapping on the roller with a small hardwood dowel. Warm but not hot helps a bit.

Pete G, Erwan and sawyer04 like this.
  4. Jan 6, 2020 #4

sawyer04

sawyer04

sawyer04

45 Cal. MLF Supporter

By all means, break free, might work. I would try PB Blaster and it won't free up for maybe a week, just keep patience. A lot can go wrong here. Is the roller flat on one side? I suspect that pin is peened on both ends.

Woodnbow likes this.
  5. Jan 6, 2020 #5

hawkeye2

hawkeye2

hawkeye2

58 Cal.

That wouldn't be the first roller I've seen that didn't. Not likely you'll have a wear issue in a lifetime specially if you put a little grease on the mainspring. But then rollers are supposed to do just that and I expect that the only way to fix it is to disassemble, stone the wheel and the insides of the hammer slot and then check the clearances and I wouldn't be surprised if you need to replace the pin too. To function it needs to be free enough to turn with light finger pressure. Though I have never done it it might be a good idea to give the wheel a quarter to half turn every time you have the gun down to the point where you can do it to distribute the wear.

6. Jan 6, 2020 #6

rich pierce

rich pierce

rich pierce

70 Cal.

Here’s a trick that sometimes works: after lubing or using any special sauces for breaking it free, put a piece of 320 or so grit sandpaper on a smooth, hard surface. Now hold whatever you have with a tiny roller at the end, tightly and roll it with great downward force on that paper. The traction may break it loose. Just give it one try. You don’t want to sand a flat spot on the roller. I’ve used this for rollers on frizzen toes and on frizzen springs.

Ames, Gun Tramp, Pete G and 1 other person like this.
  7. Jan 6, 2020 #7

William P Sepessy

William P Sepessy

William P Sepessy

32 Cal.

I had this happen on a lightly used Rogers & Spencer I picked up. Turned out the pin was bent so it had to come out if things were to work properly. I wound up having to make a new pin.

Draft saved Draft deleted