• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Roller bearing doesn't roll

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking over the pistol I bought yesterday and found the hammer roller bearing doesn't roll, can't get it to turn at all. Short of punching out the pin and trying to free it up I don't see any other thing to do. Doesn't effect function that I can see, but is there or would there be longer term adverse wear on that part or the mainspring?

20200106_092307_resized.jpg

The pin may or may not wish to come out. Patience here; I'd try a drop of break-free clp and some very gentle tapping on the roller with a small hardwood dowel. Warm but not hot helps a bit.

By all means, break free, might work. I would try PB Blaster and it won't free up for maybe a week, just keep patience. A lot can go wrong here. Is the roller flat on one side? I suspect that pin is peened on both ends.

That wouldn't be the first roller I've seen that didn't. Not likely you'll have a wear issue in a lifetime specially if you put a little grease on the mainspring. But then rollers are supposed to do just that and I expect that the only way to fix it is to disassemble, stone the wheel and the insides of the hammer slot and then check the clearances and I wouldn't be surprised if you need to replace the pin too. To function it needs to be free enough to turn with light finger pressure. Though I have never done it it might be a good idea to give the wheel a quarter to half turn every time you have the gun down to the point where you can do it to distribute the wear.

Here’s a trick that sometimes works: after lubing or using any special sauces for breaking it free, put a piece of 320 or so grit sandpaper on a smooth, hard surface. Now hold whatever you have with a tiny roller at the end, tightly and roll it with great downward force on that paper. The traction may break it loose. Just give it one try. You don’t want to sand a flat spot on the roller. I’ve used this for rollers on frizzen toes and on frizzen springs.

I had this happen on a lightly used Rogers & Spencer I picked up. Turned out the pin was bent so it had to come out if things were to work properly. I wound up having to make a new pin.

Back