• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rock soup a distinct possibility

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
I took a day in the woods for myself, yesterday. I call it my birthday trek, and I’ve been doing it for the last 6 years, or so. I try to make it something a little different, and I think I did, this year.

I hit the woods about 0900. It was nippy, about 26° but headed for 40°, clear, bright and calm, a good day for squirrel hunting. That was my goal, but I couldn’t start, just yet, because I had brought along no bullets. On purpose. I had a bag mold and some lead, though. I hiked a short distance into the woods lot, then, using shredded cedar bark, charcloth and char wood, and catching a spark from the lock of my .40 caliber flint rifle, I started a little fire. When the coals were right I melted some lead and poured a couple of balls.

Trek79-N.jpg

Trek79-R.jpg

Trek79-X.jpg

I loaded one of them over 35 grains of 3Fg Goex, with a .008” patch and my beeswax/lard lube. Primed with 4F, and I was off to gather my lunch, because I had brought no food, either. On purpose. Well, unless you count one little corn pone. Think you're a hunter, huh? Well, prove it.

Trek79-Zkcopy.jpg

I hunted half an hour before I saw anything, then spotted a fox squirrel about 40 yards away, half-way up a tree, flagging its tail and squacking. It was in the clear, but that’s too long an offhand shot for this old man, so I sneaked toward it looking for a rest. Before I could reach one the squirrel moved on through several other trees, then went to ground and disappeared. I kept sneaking and soon spotted it in some heavy trash on the ground at 25 yards. My offhand shot was good. It was a young female. With the makings of lunch in hand I looked for a likely spot and found a nice little nook with rocks to make a fire pit and, more importantly, a big cedar tree.

Trek79-2H.jpg

I gathered piles of cedar twigs and branches for the fire from the big cedar, and also some bark for my tinder. Using my burning glass, char wood and the cedar bark, I soon had a fire going. Lord love a cedar tree. Recent rain meant absolutely everything was soaking wet, and starting a fire could have been a problem without it.

Trek79-2Y.jpg

When enough coals had developed I put my tin kettle on, and cleaned the squirrel while I waited for it to boil.

Trek79-2Zg.jpg

Squirrel and salt were added to the pot, and I spent the next 45 minutes tending the fire. I shot at some osage oranges, threw my tomahawk and just generally enjoyed being alive and lucky enough to be there doing it.

Trek79-2Zi.jpg

When the squirrel was tender I took it out and added a handful of rockahominy to the broth.

Trek79-2Zz.jpg

I removed all the meat from the bones.

Trek79-2Zza.jpg

By this time the rockahominy was cooked, so I returned the squirrel meat to the pot.

Trek79-2Zze.jpg

Once it heated I served it up. By this time it was 1600, and I was ready for it.

Trek79-2Zzm.jpg

A wooden bowl of that dish of squirrel and rockahominy, generously sprinkled with cayenne pepper, along with my corn pone, and I wouldn’t know what more to ask for. That may be the tastiest thing I have ever cooked in camp. I really enjoyed that meal, and I should have, I worked hard for it. Pleasant work, though, if you can get it.

Spence

Spence, you are the man !! Great outing, great skills, great story.
Made me feel like I was right there...(I'd be the one "green with envy")

:hatsoff:

Spence, that as fine a hunting or outdoor adventure as any I've read! Great photos, too :hatsoff:

Thanks Spence for taking us along....Happy Birthday! :thumbsup:
Your living right!...

Thats the best way anyone could spend a birthday. Feels like I was there with ya. Happy Birthday :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Happy birthday, Spence! Glad you could get out and share the story and pics with us. Love that. Really liked this part:
Think you're a hunter, huh? Well, prove it.
Good for you :hatsoff:

War Hawk said:
What is rockhominy? If I may ask.
Here's a definition from the day:

"Histories of the Dividing Line betwixt Virginia and North Carolina" by William Byrd, 1729:

He has been discussing pocket or portable soup and its virtues, and finishes by saying, "But this Broth will be still more heartening if you thicken every Mess with half a Spoonful of Rockahominy, which is nothing but Indian Corn parched without burning, and reduced to Powder . . ."

Spence

Thanks Spence,

Like someone said one time,reading your post is like takeing a walk with an old friend and I really enjoy it. Happy Birthday!

Wayne/Al

Happy Birthday....may you have many more. Good story an pictures.... as usual :hatsoff:

I cant't add much more than to say that I hope my next birthday turns out as good as yours did! But I doubt that I will make as many mouths water as you have.

Back