• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help identifying an old percussion double barrel shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
This may be the wrong forum for me to post this question but I saw a similar post and thought y'all could help. I know nothing about guns but I recently came into possession of an old shotgun that my dad got from his dad that may have belonged to his dad but my father is gone now so I have no way to know it's history. In what research I have done, it appears to be a percussion double barrel shotgun similar to the type used by stage coach employees. I have not yet been able to locate a serial number. The name etched into the side reads "Tabb Bros & Dimmock." The only information I have been able to find on that is a hardware company that used to be in Baltimore, MD. I don't know if they had a store in Virginia but I did come across chancery records in Virginia that make reference to Tabb Bros. & Dimmock. My father's family is from southern Virginia there is a tenuous connection. In the center on top of the barrells in an inscription that reads "Balto Club Gun." Google reads Balto as Baltimore and the only Baltimore gun club I could find was a German-American gun club in Maryland that no longer exists. I have attached what pictures I do have but can take more if needed. I'm not looking to sell but the history is intruiging.

Unfortunately, that's a breech loading shotgun, meaning that lever over the top between the hammers is pushed (usually to the left) to open the gun and insert shotgun shells. That makes the gun too modern for discussion on our forum, as it's not a muzzleloader. The inscription "BALTOCLUBGUN" may be a reference to it belonging to the Baltimore Gun Club as a "loaner" gun for guests, or when members had a malfunction in their own gun.

LD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back