• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Road Trip

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Boss and I are heading to San Fransisco for our anniversary. Unfortunately there aren't any good black powder shops in my area so hoping to check some places out.

Anybody got recommendations for shops in Reno, Idaho Falls and Livingston/Bozeman? Great Falls is a possibility as well. We're pretty booked up while in 'Frisco so I don't foresee any chance to check places out there unless it's convenient to the bay area.

Leaving there we'll likely be passing within a few blocks of Old West Gun Room which Googles up as showing a possibility so can hopefully make a quick stop.

Not satisfied with what comes up doing Google.

Still need to get a throwing knife for our shoots.

Thanks.

Hi there
I hope you and your wife have a safe and fun trip. As to gun shops in Ca...............this is not the state to be a gun owner. You will find minimal if anything Black Powder.
I've lived here 45+ years and watched this slide. It is a
great state to visit and you will love the Bay Area....but I would not recommend living here. I my self am going to move to Tennessee as soon as I find place.

Pass a good time!
Byron :)

The Old West Gun Room you mentioned is in the city of El Cerrito. It is on the east side of San Francisco Bay. The freeway goes right past Old West as you are heading east on the freeway. Take the Central Ave off ramp next to Pacific East Mall, just past the horse race track. Turn right onto Central Ave. Drive about three hundred yards and turn right onto Carlson Blvd. Old West will be just ahead on the right. You can't miss it, wagon wheels at the gate and a stone building. Parking is almost nonexistent.
Park in Peet's Coffee Shop next to Old West.

They don't always have much in the way of black powder. I can tell you I purchased a stainless steel Second Generation Colt 1851 Navy from there. The revolver came from the Colt Archives Collection. Sometimes collectors take their guns there to be sold. You might get lucky. :thumbsup:

Mark Fore and Strike in Reno sells BP. At least they did five years ago when I lived east of there. They're pretty proud of it though and it will cost you. As I recall it was a little over $20 a pound then.

This would be a good chance to get a case of black powder, at US cost, without having to pay cross-border shipping prices or duty.
Near many border crossings, on the US side, there are businesses which will receive shipments & hold them for you until you pick them up & bring them through Customs yourself.
Order the powder from a US distributor before you leave Canada, pay the shipping rate for within the continental US, on your way back to Canada pick up your order paying the nominal fee to the business,declare the powder as part of your duty-free exemption when you cross the border, & you have saved big bucks. It's all very legal.
Paul

Latest posts

Back