• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ROA Brass frame

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crv

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My new ROA comes with a brass frame.Barrel is 7,5 blu frame serial nr 14o-2xxxx. Markings says original Ruger brass frame.How can i find out if it came like that from ruger/added later on. I know you can call Ruger but i Live in Denmark.

Is it a brass main frame or just a brass grip frame?

To my knowledge there were no factory-made brass main frames produced. The gun wouldn't hold up to the loads that are above "puke" loads.

They did make a brass grip frame which isn't subject to the stress and pressures of the main frame.

Will this help?

roabrass_zps080a74f9.jpg

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=114237

Last edited by a moderator:
it looks like the one on the picture. and i has been all over google to find more info.I just looked at ROA for sale in germany and there is many lik.e mine for 150 - 200 dollars. Brass and good shape. I paid 125 dollars for mine.

Hello CRV,
You got a bargain!
The brass grip does not effect the strength of the gun.
Being the good person that I am, I will gladly give you $126 for yours :grin:
That is a fine gun!
Fred

I remember seeing those very infrequently years ago, haven't seen one for a long time. I wonder if they were mainly sold to Europe? I always liked the super blackhawk grip, it would be nice to find one of those grip frames for my own Old Army!

There - the forum said they would cancel my account if I didn't post so there it is. Howdy folks!

OMG $125 for a ROA!??!

I wanna cry, I have never seen one for less than at least twice that!!!

Tell me the timing is off and the nipples are mushrooms...Make this better for me somehow.
:haha:

crv said:
it looks like the one on the picture. and i has been all over google to find more info.I just looked at ROA for sale in germany and there is many lik.e mine for 150 - 200 dollars. Brass and good shape. I paid 125 dollars for mine.

Buy all you can at that price and if you come to the States, you can pay for your vacation with the profits you'll make here. :bow:

CRV
Brass grip frame is the correct term. The serial number on your ROA, put the year manufactured 1974 or 1975. Ruger made the ROA with a brass grip frame or blued steel from the factory. Also the brass grip frames were sold as a after market item. Ruger Records (603-863-3300)can give you the exact ship date and Model in a letter. BP-7B would be a Old Army with 7-1/2 barrel and brass grip frame. These are also called dragoon grip frames by some collectors. Dragoon's square type, steel more round. I have a brass ROA myself. You have a great ROA.
BFJ

I would love to. But i think i gonna have problem with Danish Police and USA custom. Lived 12 years in LA and bought my first ROA in Pomona

Don't remember seeing a brass-gripped model. Cool. And, yeah, cheap for here...

Alden said:
LOL

Welcome!

Eschew grits.

Likewise, Welcome! And find a way to get a bunch at $150 and ship them over here.

Oh Alden, there was a typo in your message. it should be "Chew grits". ES somehow got in there.

The brass grip frames were, and probably still are, a hot item for the cartridge guys. Most all the extras Ruger made were bought through the years to dress up Blackhawks. A great many of the brass gripped ROAs were bought just to swap out the grip frame for those standard to the Blackhawks. Finding a nice, clean one is a treasure! :thumbsup:

Timed out whilst looking up the next part of the babble! :wink: When Ruger changed the grip frame design from the original Colt M.1851 (now called Model P) style XR3 to the more advanced XR3-RED style to give more finger room (Ruger's explanation for this change)... for whatever reason, ROA production kept with the old XR3 design style...no, I have no idea why. For this reason alone, the traditional guys who think the old Model P design was inspired by God have bought up every spare XR3 and ROA grip frame out there to convert later Blackhawk and Vaquero revolvers. Watch your brass frame guy, Ruger guys will be coveting your shiny grip frame! :haha: :thumbsup:

Great shooter with 20 grains Triple seven and filler to fit.Any better loads out there i dont know ?

Back