• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifling ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Square bottom, wide grooves, narrow lands, not overly deep. Square bottom means the groove follow the bore radius to me but with square corners. Good luck finding one!

The only maker doing this right now is Bobby Hoyt. I have recently bought a 32 caliber from a famous maker that was made "wrong", IMHO. The grooves were narrow and deep. It was not accurate enough to be worth my time. The maker did not understand how to make a top accuracy barrel based on my conversation with him. This is very frustrating because it cost the same to do it right or wrong.

I had Mr. Hoyt rebore it. I have not fully tested it yet. Kind of a shame for a new barrel to be junk. Since Green Mountain stopped making anything under 45 caliber the options for the most accurate barrels are very limited.

Deep half round grooves and wide lands, have never shot well enough to suit me. That makes sense because you will never have a patch and ball combo that seals the bore. You will not find these barrels on the line at Friendship.

IF you are happy hitting an orange at 50 yards most of the time it does not matter what you choose.

Back