• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifles of Colonial America #28

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The butt architecture is excellent...especially the comb line and cheek. Also bringing the wrist into the butt...some guys just have all the talent.....Fred

I too think Mitch did a super job recreating this rifle. But my favorite is the Lancaster he finished and posted a short time ago. I have a picture of it hanging up on the wall in my shop. It gives me inspiration and humbles my limited abilities at the same time! :bow:

Thanks guys for the kind words about my work they are most appreciated!!!!

Mitch Yates

Thats one fine lookin gun. I havent worked much walnut, how is it to work with that much figure in it ?

Longrifle

American Walnut on a whole tends to be more difficult to work than maple.It tends to be chippy making it tougher to get clean inletting and carving.Like any wood there are good pieces and bad.This particular piece was a pretty good piece of stump cut so it had a lot of figure in the butt, but not so much in the forestock.For some reason the curly part worked much better than the plainer part in the forstock.

Mitch Yates

Back