• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifles of Colonial America #28

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tallbear

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This is a rifle I just completed.It is a Reading PA rifle based on one in Rifles of Colonial America.It is #28 in the first volume.It has a .54 cal Getz barrel and a stump cut walnut stock stained with Aqua Fortis.As always all questions and comments are welcome.

Mitch Yates
012.jpg

036.jpg

003.jpg

015.jpg

021.jpg
2012-07-24094249.jpg

Absolutely beautiful!
I love all the screws on the patch box and the carvings. But my favorite part is the rich dark color of the wood.

Anyone of us would walk proudly with a nice weapon like that. I sure would!

Very nice,However being border line OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) I'd have to put brass screws in the patch box and line up all the slots,even though the do make a very nice statement.Will the steel to brass cause a problem,figuring in the differance on the Galvonic Scale?
Very nice forsure.

Brass screws are almost non existant on American Longrifles.Lineing up the slots is also almost non existant.If you look closely you will notice the screw heads on my patchbox are different sizes,this was done on purpose to match the original rifle.

Mitch

Now you know why I dont build rifles,,dont know enough about what is /isnt correct.
Very nice rifle still.I admire anyone work,,wasnt judging your's by the way, just pointing out my borderline OCD.
Like the size,color of the screws,,even though I know there surpose to be that way,,it would drive me up the hill.Weird huh :doh:

Sperit
I took no offence at your post.Just explaing my reasons for doing what i do :wink:

Mitch

question....what is your process for drilling/counter sinking the screws? they look wonderfully done..smooth and neat!!!!!!
:surrender:
it's one of my areas that i'm working on!

I like it, nice looking rifle. I like the carving on the stock, did you do your own carving?

Wow! That turned out beutiful and what a nice piece of wood! :hatsoff:

Great looking gun, thanks for sharing your pictures....have you shot it yet? How does it shoot? :thumbsup:

Mitch is a pro builder and one who caused me to re-calibrate my score-card of my favorite builders. He's not likely to toot his own horn (unless it's on a boat) but this rifle shows off some of his skills; others of his will be equally or more impressive depending only on your taste in what schools you like best. So, yeah, he does hos own carving and the rest as well. You may have seen the Dickert-inspired rifle he built for the CLA auction; that one was a collaboration but he did 90% or more of it, with some engraving done by Tom Curran.

Thanks guys,sorry for the delayed responce I was away flyfishing.I did all the work on the rifle and while I only fired ten shots out of it before delivering it to my customer the Getz barrel performed as expected.Ten shots off a bench with no load development they were almost all touching at 25 yards.

My process for countersinking the scews is simply to drill the holes,install the box and then countersink the holes once the box is installed.I use a 82 degree countersink I get from MSCdirect.com.Once countersunk I install the screws and file screws flush to the surface.Be careful not to file the slots away and recut them when they get shallow.If you remove the screws at any time you must make sure they go back in the same holes and the screws are now shaped exactly for the hole they were first installed.Normally i make the countersinks the same size but varied them this time to match the original.
Be glad to answer any other ?'s

Thanks Rich :redface: :redface:

Mitch

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful gun! Beautiful craftsmanship! Obviously not your first build. :thumbsup: You are to be commended. :hatsoff:

WOW That's easy on the eyes!
Thanks for posting your work..
Inspiring for sure!
In to my favorites you go! :grin:

Back