• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle to Smoothie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoJoLesh

40 Cal
Reaction score
I am full of bad ideas. Maybe this is one.

How much safety margin is built into the barrels on Traditions (or other common low cost importers) guns?

Could you bore one of those .50s out to make it a smooth bore?

Would doing so be a more cost effective way to get a fowler?

Money is tight, but I would like the smoothbore experience, I am also thinking of trying one of those builder kits.

Thoughts?

Holt or Hoyt is a guy they talk about a lot on refreshing bores. He could let you know if there was enough meat.
If he just removed the lands down to the depth of the grooves it might shoot well with the same ball that you use now.

I have had thoughts like that in the past aswell. and gave it up. there is a few factors that changed my mind.
if the gun is for rondezvos shooting then the rear sight has to come off. not a big deal.
the gun probably does not have the correct appearance. fowler look/style.
on that traditions you could probably remove the rifling and keep it at 50cal but I would hesitate to go bigger , when I was thinking of this idea I wondered what to do with the breech plug if you go bigger, retap it to a bigger size? is one option. or drill the barrel up to the exsting breech plug and retain the original breech plug. not sure that's a good idea.
so those questions and all the effort made it seem like a bad idea.
my opinion is DONT do it just to have a fowler.
if you are able , do a kit. if not watch for a used one. keep shooting your current gun until one shows up.
OU
tom

I wouldn't modify my current gun. It has sentimental value to me.

I was thinking of picking up.a traditions build kit for $350, and modifying that.

I haven't seen any smoothbore kit for that low. Maybe I have to keep looking.

Money is tight now, so I don't know if I could even spend that much, on another toy.

I really don't care what anyone at a rendezvous or shoot thinks, because I don't go to those.

Just a suggestion...

Thompson/Center used to make a Renegade in .56 Smoothbore. That would be a little larger (0.010") larger than a 28 gauge. These guns were purpose built as smoothbores. They are not hard to find on the used gun market. I did a quick Google search and found this one at Kittery Trading post for $365 : T/C Renegade .56 Smoothbore

I have one of them. These are nice, solid guns. You normally see used ones in very good condition in the $350 - $400 range, and I think the one in the link above looks like a good deal.

Good luck!

Notchy Bob

I got a Traditions 50 "hawken" from a pawn shop for $50, had a ball stuck 2/3 down barrel, pulled ball big rust spot, put 50grit sand paper on a rod and sanded it down. very faint lands left, will shoot PRB still well, but it is a cotton tail killing machine with #6 and 40gr 3f.

I got a Traditions 50 "hawken" from a pawn shop for $50, had a ball stuck 2/3 down barrel, pulled ball big rust spot, put 50grit sand paper on a rod and sanded it down. very faint lands left, will shoot PRB still well, but it is a cotton tail killing machine with #6 and 40gr 3f.

I stalk the local pawn shops. Occasionally you land on a great finds like that! How long did it take you to sand it down?

Back