• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rifle similaritys

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i have seen many members to ask questions about the pedersoli frontier only to be told it looks like nothing traditional regardless they should not be slammed for asking so with that said here are two pictures the first is a Allentown - Bethlehem longrifle
9gv8fs.jpg

the next is the pedersoli frontier]
73ms1l.jpg

although not exact i see many similarity's so if you own a frontier or blue ridge it is cosmetically correct

If studied closely you would see a great difference in the two, the curved buttstock is the only thing in "common" they are about as close to any original longrifle as theTC Hawken is to the original Hawken but they are a good generic traditional gun and many use them for hunting and reenacting.One needas more than a profile of two guns to compare, the Blue ridge could probably be worked over to be much closer but it might not justify the time spent.Quite often we see what we want to see when comparing production guns with the originals, the Hatfield was the beginning of the long line of guns similar to the lower one.

never said they were exact just similar and yes i see many differences i was only saying there is some similarity. you need not be so vicious with people because the buy one
and ask about it here :idunno: :surrender:

"you need not be so vicious with people because the buy one"

"vicious?" there was certainly no malice intended, just an observation based on many many posts on these guns and their connection with originals,often the vendors can be very missleading one used to advertise these guns as good from the F&I war thru the Alamo and those who had no resourses would go with that and have a gun totaly out of place for the 1750-60 period.
Vicious? :shocked2: I gave the guns a good positive rating as a solid generic traditional style gun, probably a but moreso in cap than flint but not bad guns, vicious? we could go there but I see no need, have a cup of hot chocolate,enjoy the holiday, we can be vicious later if need be.

I see a big difference. The bottom gun has no frissen , flint, and cock. Instead it has a nipple/ drum and hammer! :bow: :bow:

I've got problems with my photo bucket account but if you suggest a cup of hot chochlate. Go to www.woodworking.org , then Info exchange then scrap pile and the post "fire away" to see pictures of the trebeche I made my grandchildren to "shoot " marshmellows into their hot choclate.It is very accurate hitting twenty five times in a row before their mother decided it was enough marshmellows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I got the image onto photo bucket ,but now I cann't get it to post here. I doubt I'll ever get posting images on this forum straight. I find it so simple to post images on my woodworking forums, but I have been fighting with the photobucket thing for over a year and still cann't get it to work. I guess my mind is stuck in pre 1840!

"your right my apology's for being so rude to you "

No apology needed, but I appreciate the thought, it takes a while to really grasp at where and what to look for when comparing guns, I am a novice myself, it is interesting and the learning process is likely endless with all the originals and replicas to study, I had a gun made after the Hatfield line and found it to be a good shooter,it was one of the last American made versions .45 flint, I hunted with it for several years and carried it to 'Vous but would not put on the outfit and try to do the F&I period, have a good holiday and enjoy all of your guns in the field or at the range.

The difference I see is that the Pedersoli doe's not have the step wrist and has a slight Roman nose to it. I have a flintlock Blueridge in .36 caliber.

I've seen a coupla original Allentown rifles. They were slim, slim, slim, unlike the Pedersoli. The forestock on the Ped is thick and klunky, nothing like the Allentown style guns.

The Ped Frontier is an ok, generic rifle that will work for late period, 1820's, or so events, but trying to push earlier than that is a real looooooonnnnnnggggg stretch.

God bless, and Merry Christmass

trucker said:
i have seen many members to ask questions about the pedersoli frontier only to be told it looks like nothing traditional regardless they should not be slammed for asking so with that said here are two pictures the first is a Allentown - Bethlehem longrifle
9gv8fs.jpg

the next is the pedersoli frontier]
73ms1l.jpg

although not exact i see many similarity's so if you own a frontier or blue ridge it is cosmetically correct

Its only cosmetically correct if you ignore differences in the lines and subtle contours of the original or a quality custom. There is not a mass produced ML on the market that is correct based on this criteria. They are all simply sanded to shape and the contours are blurred as a result.
Similar does not equal correct.
Dan

tg said:
Quite often we see what we want to see when comparing production guns with the originals, the Hatfield was the beginning of the long line of guns similar to the lower one.

I was looking at this about The Hatfield reproductions some time ago. There were several modern "reproductions" of this "reproduction rifle" made by other companies too . Found this bit...

"Ted Hatfield began building a pretty good
reproduction Kentucky-style rifle down in St. Joseph, Missouri.The gun was a close copy of rifles built by his great-great-grandfather, Moses Hatfield. If you seem to recognize the name, well you should. This is the same Hatfield family of the notorious Hatfield-McCoy feud from Kentucky and West Virginia."

I had tried to track down anything about a Moses Hatfield original rifle before and came up empty handed. I agree that the Blue Ridge looks suspiciously like these "reproductions" and was probably copied from them. Regarding an original Moses rifle... who knows?
:idunno:

Kentucky and Tenneseee rifle were influenced in design by earlier gunmaking schools in one way or another. I think Allentown may be one of them. I read this before somewhere years ago too I believe. I think I'd have to agree with what has been said so far. Subtle variations do make a world of difference. That is if you wish to be correct. So...I guess my shooting bag is appropriate after all!
:thumbsup:

This link has a popup. Please delete it if it is not acceptable. I only read part of it.

Link

The gun I used to have is on that site it is verticle on a blanket at the bottom of the page I believe, it was made by Wilderness Rifle Works, now Deer Creek, it was the last of this style made in America as for Hatfields copying his gun from one made by his ancestor...a pic of that original has never been shown,I suspect it was just a marketing ploy, and likely true to the point that his ancestors guns probably had a long barrel/fullstock thin,curved buttstock, the forestock and the "extra" ramrod channel on each side on these is what I did not care for, I reworked the stock and changed that by removing a lot of wood.The key point for history purposes is that they are a late style and do not fit in the 18th century.I took some deer with mine but like most of my guns over the years sold or traded it for something different.

Back