• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle Shoppe "Scottish Musket" and "James II Musket"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect that scratch built would be the only way forward.. they are pretty angular designs, and use fruit wood for stocks, but barrels would be a challenge!
Not too bad to build, problem is a small market so if investing time into the build you wind up with a unique piece that is $$$ and someone wanting to invest the money would rather have one built personally for them at the same cost. Oh did I mention the pistol I'm working on is rifled as well?

Not too bad to build, problem is a small market so if investing time into the build you wind up with a unique piece that is $$$ and someone wanting to invest the money would rather have one built personally for them at the same cost. Oh did I mention the pistol I'm working on is rifled as well?
Oh Indubitably..!

I would think most of the fancy surviving examples would have been one off commissions!

...only in very few cases does logic or a fortune lie behind firearms manufacture!

Hi Rob,

Yes, the majority of calibres I am aware of are small, certainly not many above .5, most less. Scotland did not have many large animals apart from deer, and money was always tight!

It is difficult to tell the origin of a firearm apart from its style. The guns from which TRS patterned its reproductions were found in Germany, but supposedly belonged to Scottish mercenaries. The photo of the full stocked musket from the early catalogue certainly looks like a Scots gun as the barrel is stepped and the stock looks to be in the Scots style.. the top comb seems a bit high though, however this may have been a later development.. the use of the flintlock, even though it is of early design, would indicate a later evolution..

The TRS pistol kit is also of a later pattern, and more of the type made in Birmingham. The original fish and heart stocked pistols are truly works of art... The book you should try and find is "The Scottish Pistol" by Martin Kelvin ISBN 1-900541-15--7

This is good too:

https://www.flagstaffscottishclub.c...ottish-firearms-part-i-scottish-steel-pistols
NIce article - thank you!

Rifled barrel sounds fun your pistol is going to be somthing else commodore swab.

Thank you for the information, I'm always trying to gather more info on scottish arms as you say there rare and very under presented in modern building. I'm an eccentric to say the least I work and live in montana year round in a great kilt or military style kilt and usually have a a dirk, and sgian achles on me. To me the shapes and designs of the Scottish firearms I've seen thus far are just beautiful in design. Do you have any recommendations on books along this subject ? It's also sad that they have thought to remove there antique arms from museums over an evil act. I suppose if the Scottish people have no use of there arms they can send them to me :)

"I'm an eccentric to say the least......" and they sir are the most interesting of Folk.

Alright!!! Much to my surprise my account has been drained of black powder funds for my new scottish musket kit from the the rifle shoppe. If everyone would like I will start posting progress of the build and hopefully be taking some upland birds and deer and elk with it next year.

Also have some progress photos of a modern dirk I've designed it's San mai damascus with a 1080 core the handle will be copper and scottish bog oak layered

Attachments

• IMG_7567.jpg
    IMG_7567.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7564.jpg
    IMG_7564.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 0
If the barrel of this pistol is rifled, it is likely a goof from TRS. I had this happen to me. I have a 1640ish doglock pistol that I had Mike Brooks assemble for me from a TRS kit. It came with a .50 caliber "rifled" barrel. But I used the barrel anyway. Didn't want to go to the long effort to get the correct smooth bore barrel, if you know what I mean. LOL

Rick

Nobody asked but I'm sharing anyways the musket kit got in this morning. Thanks rifle shoppe.!!! The lock is overwhelming to say the least but overall I'm happy with the purchase I will continue to post as the the kit becomes a musket that I will use for upland bird and maybe a deer or elk or both its a very interesting old gun

Attachments

• 20231208_083513.jpg
    20231208_083513.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231208_083504.jpg
    20231208_083504.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231208_083412.jpg
    20231208_083412.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231208_083401.jpg
    20231208_083401.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
To the people of Scotland, this King James is not the second but the "seventh and second" just as his grandfather (of KJV Bible fame) was James the sixth and first. King James II was killed by an exploding cannon in 1460.

I can see why the Rifle Shoppe would prefer to keep things simple.
Was the cannon made in India?:rolleyes:

Nobody asked but I'm sharing anyways the musket kit got in this morning. Thanks rifle shoppe.!!! The lock is overwhelming to say the least but overall I'm happy with the purchase I will continue to post as the the kit becomes a musket that I will use for upland bird and maybe a deer or elk or both its a very interesting old gun
Anyone tackling such a project is worthy of respect!

Well, the Scottish gave us Scotch, all the rest of the geneology (sp?) I'll leave to the scholars! But the world is just a bit nicer having scotch in it! ;)

Back