• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rhubarb

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
What can you do with rhubarb besides pie?

Appearance in America:
Early records of rhubarb in America identify an unnamed Maine gardener as having obtained seed or root stock from Europe in the period between 1790-1800. He introduced it to growers in Massachusetts where its popularity spread and by 1822 it was sold in produce markets.

Rhubarb.gif

I hate rhubarb pie! Never eat the stuff. But break off a stalk or to and I will munch it down! I eat it raw! and like it!!! Use it in place of celery in a stew...just not too much.

I make jelly, pies, cake, eat it raw with a little sugar, and poison the noisy neighbor's dog with the leaves... :kid:

:front:

you can grow it or mabey a farmers market sells it near you :front: you can eat young poke berry stems but boil them twice and dont get purple stems but it taste very good and you can make spicewood tea with it and its all in abundance

MM,
:imo: feed it to the hogs, if they will
eat it. Even hogs have taste buds!
snake-eyes :imo:

MM,
:imo: feed it to the hogs, if they will
eat it. Even hogs have taste buds!

My hog is a hedgehog, so he may hide in it... :D

I remember seening rhubarb growing near the edge of the marsh on my dad's farm when I was a kid, I thought it was red celery...

I made some Rhubarb wine once. Nasty! I gave a gallon away to some guys that got drunk on it. Later I offered the 2nd gallon and they wouldn't take it. I think I eventually threw it out. :crackup:

MM

I use to make a fantastic Dutch oven Rhubarb-Strawberry up side down cake at rondyvoo.

I don't have the exact recipe anymore, (maybe I never had one in the first place!) but it's pretty simple: Get some rhubarb, strawberries, sugar and a yellow cake mix. Heat the bottom of the dutch then dump in the rhubarb, strawberries and sugar. Mix well, then pour the pre-mixed cake batter over the top, replace the lid, cover top and bottom with coals then go shoot your pistol targets. If the cake is not golden brown by the time you get back, challenge your camp partner to a hawk throw. By the time he breaks his handle, your Rhubarb-Strawberry upside down cake will be done to perfecton! Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve...

...The Kansan...

I strongly suggest leaving out the strawberrys and substituting blueberrys. Little less "sweet". But man is it good!

BobW

Oh Man!! I love rhubarb pie! Either that or strawberry rhubarb pie. 'Nother thing you can do with it is cut it in chunks, about 1" or so long. Put it into a kettle with some water, maybe about 1/3 or so full. Add sugar...lots of sugar. Boil it down to a sauce...sort of like a chunky apple sauce. Cool in the refrigerator. Eat as a side dish the next evening or even on ice cream...let your taste buds have a riot of ideas. Great stuff, imo.

Rubarb is one of the bad memories of my childhood. Whenever we would visit one of the "old" relatives, rubarb pie was often the dinner dessert. Supposedly, it was good for the blood. I was under strict orders from my parents to eat it wthout complaint, and even to comment the hostess. I could barely get it down then, and after all these years, I sure wouldn't put it in my mouth now. Some things, like wine, you aquire a taste for over the years. Rubarb is not one of those things.

My Aunt in Wisconsin used to grow the stuff on the farm. We pretty much had a Rhubarb-ade(might have been strawberry or something else mixed in) daily. It was a punch of sorts, and man it was good stuff after pickin rock, makin hay, or even after milking. My Mom never had it on our place. But she baked a mean pie!! Have also had a Rhubarb bar/cobbler type thing. Good stuff!!

It's also used to reinforce concrete:

They call it Rheebarb! :crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

my wife makes an excellent bread out of it. i think she uses a zuccini bread recipe and puts rhubarb in instead. excellent tasting.
pieman

Back