• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rethinking Horn Engrailment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrownBear

In Rmembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I admit to having a broad practical streak down my back. Living in a unique climate and a place with essentially no US involvement before the 1860's, I've made my choices in gear and materials based on the premise of someone from US arriving here in Alaska before the Seward Purchase from Russia, more or less living on the lam and staying out of the Russian's way while applying technology and methods from the US sensibly to the local conditions and available materials.

Long winded way of saying that while I'm interested in what was going on around the US prior to the 1860's, I'm not really religious about imitating any one style. If something makes practical sense here, I try it.

Engrailment has always looked cool to me on a horn, but also seemed like so much fooferra in practical terms. I've always made my horns plain, and never looked back.

I finally got around to trying it myself, just cuzz. And HOLY COW!!!!!! Did I ever get a lesson about "practical."

Fact of life about a cold wet climate is cold wet hands at best, and often gloves. And a plain horn is slick, a real PITA to handle and control.

Well I took that horn out on a trial run, and learned there's a really practical side to engrailment: It vastly improves your grip and control on an otherwise slick horn.

I don't know of any engrailed horns in museum collections up here, but I'm going looking. I'm more than a little curious how the "locals" dealt with slick horns back when. Surely I'm not the only one that has cussed a slick horn sliding through your hand and spraying powder all over tarnation.

Yup, all you have to do is try to pour from a wet horn with cold wet hands, and you understand everything you need to know about engrailment.

Well golly! I never really thought about it, but what you said makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Scott

BrownBear said:
Well I took that horn out on a trial run, and learned there's a really practical side to engrailment: It vastly improves your grip and control on an otherwise slick horn.

:hmm: Ya know I never really thought about that, but it sure does make sense........Frozen mittens + smoothe horn = :cursing: :cursing:

Yeah, we go to all the trouble of making those horns really slick and shiny. But in weather, it's like handling an icicle with wet hands. Squeezing for a better grip is kinda like squeezing on a wet bar of soap, but leaving a trail of black powder rather than bubbles! :rotf:

I guess I'll have to show my ignorance again, so here goes, what is engrailment? Does someone have a picture of this? I looked the word up, and it had to do with edges of coins, no mention of powder horns.

Capt Augustus said:
I guess I'll have to show my ignorance again, so here goes, what is engrailment? Does someone have a picture of this? I looked the word up, and it had to do with edges of coins, no mention of powder horns.

Thanks for asking. I am in the same boat of ignorance...

Good question. I didn't know the term till I bought a book. Engrailment is the notching you see right where the dark neck joins the lighter body in the photos at the bottom of this page. Your reference to coins makes me wonder if they aren't referring to the notches or serrations on the edges of some coins.

You'll see it fancy and plain, and I'll guarantee that mine falls on the plain end of the scale! :rotf:

Latest posts

Back