• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Restore lustre to percussion locks?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I hope everyone is doing well.

I did a dumb thing. I accidentally tarnished the lock faces of my Pedersoli shotgun and so far nothing I have tried can remove it. Perhaps it can’t be removed?

I use an ultrasonic cleaner to clean my pistol brass, with a teaspoon of citric acid and a squirt of dish soap in hot water. My shotgun percussion locks needed a good cleaning and I put them in too. What happened was the lovely ‘blue lustre highlights’ on the lock faces was turned to a deep grey patina. I’m assuming there was a chemical reaction with the citric acid, because I have cleaned the locks in the ultrasonic cleaner before with only soapy water and never had a problem.

Anyway, the locks still function properly, so no real harm done. I’ve tried a multitude of cleaning products and metal polishes, to no avail. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks for your consideration.

Here is a picture of the tarnished locks along with one I found on the web showing the ’before’ condition.

Attachments

• 4059B5A0-8535-439A-B78B-DFC393E27A11.jpeg
    4059B5A0-8535-439A-B78B-DFC393E27A11.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • C60EE629-B37A-425C-8D67-5A4ABBD25ADE.jpeg
    C60EE629-B37A-425C-8D67-5A4ABBD25ADE.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
There’s no easy fix that I’m aware of, if I had them in hand I’d disassemble them and then anneal them. A bit of polish then re-color case harden to make them better than new. Too bad you’re on the wrong side of the pond. But you could do it yourself.

You're pretty much out of luck without resorting to some serious effort.

When using an ultrasonic on black powder stuff, don't ever, ever use anything other than what we normally use like Dawn detergent and distilled water.

The locks look like they were fake color case hardened. To redo that type of finish , the whole outer lock color will have to be removed , and a new process done. It's a heat process involving a very hot pencil flame , applied over a polished steel surface. Someone experienced should do it. Since the lock plate is essentially different colors anyway , you can try a Que-tip with cold blue and don't apply the liquid where the original case harden colors show up , and are not showing damage. If this works , wash the cold blued spots with a damp rag , dry , and oil. After the surface is dry , a coat of Minwax special dark furniture wax can be applied , and cleaned off with a tooth brush. Polish with a soft cloth , and see what you've got.

Case color is microns thick> Ultra-sound cleaners remove them FASSSSSST!

Did that one once cost me 600 bucks to buy the customer's gun.

Only soak the lock plate in acetone then re lacquer it as that is the usual finish on color case hardened steel because when it is not protected it is gone in a short amount of time.

Latest posts

Back