• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My New Pietta 1851 Navy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Or as I'm lying and calling it my Griswold & Gunnison........ ;)

Pietta 1851 Navy 1.jpg

Pietta 1851 Navy 2.jpg

From the start it wouldn't lock back in full cock half the time I pulled the hammer back unless I jerked it back hard. The weird thing was with the barrel removed it functioned correctly, put the barrel back on and it would act up again. Took it apart, cleaned all the storage grease and gun off, stoned the lower half of the hammer and oiled everything. Put it back together and it's working a lot better though not always. It also has a hair trigger so I'm wondering if something needs to be cut slightly deeper.

Or as I'm lying and calling it my Griswold & Gunnison........ ;)

View attachment 305424

View attachment 305425

From the start it wouldn't lock back in full cock half the time I pulled the hammer back unless I jerked it back hard. The weird thing was with the barrel removed it functioned correctly, put the barrel back on and it would act up again. Took it apart, cleaned all the storage grease and gun off, stoned the lower half of the hammer and oiled everything. Put it back together and it's working a lot better though not always. It also has a hair trigger so I'm wondering if something needs to be cut slightly deeper.
You have the wedge too tight and it's pinching the cylinder.

Nice looking gun, I like the brass frame. Is it new or new to you?

The Wedge is barely through the barrel frame.

See what 45D (Mike) says, but a short arbor comes to mind.

You have the wedge too tight and it's pinching the cylinder.
A couple of guys I know who tune and custom work on cap & ball revolvers have already discovered the problem (on another forum). A burr on the hand where it contacts the ratchet and the hand is a little too long. I have mostly corrected it and it's functioning wonderfully now, might have to take another half a hair off the hand to get it perfect.
Now that's done I have to figure out how to remove the literal hair trigger action.
Thanks for your suggestion though. :thumb:

Figured out the problem and it's corrected (post #4). It's brand new via Dixie Gun Works. Also on Piettas the problem is usually a slightly longer arbor, Ubertis have the short arbor issue.

I have the same problem with my 1849 pocket model. Wedge isn't even fully through the barrel and it'll lock up the cylinder. Bad fitment.

Back