Resin for varnish

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Reaction score
Refering to this article

What resins would be best used in brown varnish, the first recipe listed? Skimming the article a couple of times I don't see anything specific mentioned as a brown colorant.

A varnish finish is what I'd prefer to use on the plain sort of everyman's rifles I'll be building.

Hawken

40 Cal
Reaction score
Might try brown Kiwi shoe polish. I've used it as underlying stain. Should dissolve and mix in certain solvents like Turp I'd think.

JHB

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Look at a woodworker supply you are looking for a dye to mix with the varnish you want to use. They have water, oil, and alcohol base dyes.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I still haven't found out if one resin might give more color than another, but adding some sort of dye would do the trick. I'd want to tame down the plain white wood of one stock in particular., so a darker color is needed.

Hawken

40 Cal
Reaction score
Vinegaroon is a black dye used on leather and wood for centuries.

longcruise

70 Cal.
Reaction score
The author of your link is very knowledgeable. Contact him for more information.

FlinterNick

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I use transtint dyes. You need a very small amount. You can also try using Mica powder.

old ugly

40 Cal.
Reaction score
this stock is died with leather die . the base color is brown die that was diluted with alcohol, then i used the die full strength to hand paint on the stripes.. the wood on this gun is birch and was pure white before i did this finish.
ou
tom

1613007217432.png