• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Replica research

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Coffins

69 Cal.
Reaction score
My friend bought his first black powder handgun. It’s used and is good shape. He called me and we discussed it as he handled it so with that info I suggested he buy it if the price was within limits. When he brought it over to my place we disassembled it to inspect and found it to very clean then did the arbor repair and greased it up. At the farm it worked very well with the first shot hitting the X in the ten ring useing a six o’clock hold.
Now the questions, the pistol has no proof marks or date stamp. It’s marked “High Standard “ and has a nickel plated steel frame. I’m aware that High Standard made many different firearms over the years but cap and ball is new to me. If anyone has information about this pistol and years of production we would be very grateful.
IMG_0057 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
IMG_0058 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
IMG_0059 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

You have a High Standard replica of the Confederate made Leech & Rigdon. HS made several others in a "Guns of the Confederacy" line that I believe included a "Lee & Grant" pair of 1851 navy models. Several of their Confederate guns were available in wood cases, one with a Bowie knife & one with a CS belt buckle. I have one of the HS Leech & Rigdons (like yours) and one of their Griswald & Gunnison models. All of the HS cap & ball revolvers were made in the correct .36 caliber. Being made here in the states, they are not proof marked.

I’ve seen a few and owned a HS Leech & Rigdon quite some time ago (I am not 100% sure of the exact model you have, but a little research would likely confirm) and they came in presentation cases with reproduction belt buckles. My notes say they were only made in 1974. They were assembled and finished by High Standard using High Standard manufactured frames, with the other components supplied by Uberti.

SDSmlf, thank you that is what I had thought I remembered but I nor anyone should trust MY memory! I did find that the frame and arbor to be of harder steel than other replicas I’ve worked on. The hammer isn’t case hardened but would have benefited from that.

Thank you Coot, any years of manufacturing?
High Standard made three standard models for the Guns of the Confederacy series between 1974 and 1976. Griswold and Gunnison (brass frame), Leech and Rigdon (nickled frame), Schneider and Glassic (brass frame). They offered them as individual boxed pistols or as a wood cased set with a bowie knife, or belt buckle, etc. in the wood case depending on which model it was. About a thousand of each type were made. The frames were made by High Standard and the balance of the parts were Uberti. High Standard did the fit and finishing.

HS also made a Bicentennial (nickled frame) during the same time and was offered as a single boxed pistol or wood cased set.

Colt made the Lee and Grant pistols around 1971.

Last edited:
You have a High Standard replica of the Confederate made Leech & Rigdon. HS made several others in a "Guns of the Confederacy" line that I believe included a "Lee & Grant" pair of 1851 navy models. Several of their Confederate guns were available in wood cases, one with a Bowie knife & one with a CS belt buckle. I have one of the HS Leech & Rigdons (like yours) and one of their Griswald & Gunnison models. All of the HS cap & ball revolvers were made in the correct .36 caliber. Being made here in the states, they are not proof marked.
Well dam Coot. You sure know your stuff!

There is always more to learn - which I think is a good thing.
10-4 to that! I had no idea that High Standard made cap and ball revolvers at all. This has been a very interesting and informative thread.

I don’t normally care much for nickel plating or bright stainless, but I’ll have to say the subject revolver is a very nice looking piece. It sounds like a shooter, too.

Good doin’s, all around.

Notchy Bob

I too am a Hi Standard fan. I don't own a HS cap-n-ball gun though, yet. I would love to have any Confederate pistol, especially one reproduced b Hi Standard

My friend bought his first black powder handgun. It’s used and is good shape. He called me and we discussed it as he handled it so with that info I suggested he buy it if the price was within limits. When he brought it over to my place we disassembled it to inspect and found it to very clean then did the arbor repair and greased it up. At the farm it worked very well with the first shot hitting the X in the ten ring useing a six o’clock hold.
Now the questions, the pistol has no proof marks or date stamp. It’s marked “High Standard “ and has a nickel plated steel frame. I’m aware that High Standard made many different firearms over the years but cap and ball is new to me. If anyone has information about this pistol and years of production we would be very grateful.
IMG_0057 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
IMG_0058 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
IMG_0059 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
Unbelievable, the amount of knowledge on this site. That is a very nice looking gun, with an interesting (original) history.

Couldn’t help with the revolver, but clicked on image and it showed alot. I didn’t go through all of them, but will say you have pretty country. Especially the cabin build…. must cost a fortune to feed that house cat you got.

Back