• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pistol project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Coffins

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I got this unfinished pistol for $50 bucks at a swap meet. It has a lot of short comings but the Dixie lock and Greenriver barrel are new and the brass guard hasn’t been drilled. The stock is soft curly maple and the inletting is poor. I’ll toss the stock but first played around with a bit of shaping.
9B32A3AE-5048-4804-A7BA-EAE8FED04F7F by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
There’s lot that can be learned by looking over each piece. The barrel had a nice breech plug in it but when I measured it the plug it’s 5/8” deep and didn’t butt up to the bore. The plug is now 1/2” long and the barrel cut to allow the plug to seal the bore. The lock had some issues and that has been worked over. Sparks well now. The trigger guard hadn’t been filed on the area that goes into the wood so that has been flattened and the edges made smooth with about one degree of draft. This has given me a chance to consider a lot of details before beginning the build. I have never built a pistol before so this has given me plenty to think about.
IMG_0854 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Hi Phil,
Is that one of the little Italian made locks that Dixie used to sell? They were just fine with a little work and could be brought up to a very high standard. There are so few good pistol sized locks and those were good if you worked on them a bit. I think you have something to work with there. Have fun with it.

dave

Hi Phil,
Is that one of the little Italian made locks that Dixie used to sell? They were just fine with a little work and could be brought up to a very high standard. There are so few good pistol sized locks and those were good if you worked on them a bit. I think you have something to work with there. Have fun with it.

dave
Yes, and it took a bit to confirm that it could be made useful. My other projects have drawn me away from this build for now.

Back