• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Replica Arms Inc Paterson.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently acquired a very tidy Reproduction Paterson revolver made by Replica Arms Inc of Marietta Ohio. I googled the name and it appears they were bought out in the mid 70's by Navy Arms.
When I checked the date code on the barrel (XX) it appears it was stamped in 1964!
This is by far the oldest Reproduction gun I have in my possession, in fact, when this gun was made I was still in short trousers!!

I will take some pictures and post them soon.

Quite a few things on the original Paterson's were fragile and the Italians copied these right into the reproductions they make.

That, and the high cost were the main reasons the various competetors pepperboxes outsold them back in their day.

Paterson's and the reproductions are neat, pistols though.
I always wanted to buy one but the high prices of the reproductions always sent me scurrying away.

I have one(repop), that I bought several years ago. Cost was a bit high I think I paid 250bucks for it(new sold as used). I have been collecting the bits and pieces for it. I have the bullet mold, the single, and 5 shot flask, and the cleaner rod. I bought a couple of sparee reloader fulcrums since I heard that they are fragile. I just need the capper and a nice box for it.

I kinda like my Paterson,

Ive pretty much given up on getting a capper, as I just cant spend 500 bucks on one from England....

Note: The capper pictured is the one that Dixie sells as a Paterson capper, but it is actually a rifle sized capper, not a pistol one.

Pictures as promised, please excuse the poor quality of a couple of them. My back-up camera can't cope with close-ups, no macro!

It's one of those guns that has a profile that you either love or hate! I shoot a Savage Navy .36 so you can see which side of the fence I'm on!

Nice clean cylinder scene, showing little use? The gun came with a replacement loading tool which looks like it had been made by a badly trained chimpanzee! It might be of some use with a bit of work...

More signs of lack of use!

The bore is very good and the gun has been used. I know the history of this particular gun from at least the mid 90's when the guy I bought it from first had it. I have pestered him to sell it since then but it took until December last year for him to agree! Even then it took almost a month to get my hands on it...

Low serial number and the word MORFA stamped above it? (Sorry about the poor shot!)

Again a poor picture but you can just see the nipples, they have 4 tiny slots in them instead of 2 flats, I am making a key for it at the moment. They look like stainless steel but I won't be able to tell until they are out.
One bit of luck, when I collected it the foresight was missing. He told me he didn't realise it had gone and I went away thinking I would need to make a replacement. When I took it out of it's slip to photograph it the foresight dropped out behind it!

That is a slick looking revolver. I do agree that you either hate it, or love it. There is just something about them that draws my eye. :thumbsup:

I jusy went and got my Paterson and it has the 2 sided nipples. And the loading lever fits mine just fine. Mine is the Texas Paterson, with the short 9" barrel(hahah).

The 4 slot nipple wrenches were for the Uberti Patersons, they are very hard to, if not impossible to find. Made from poor potmetal castings and they break quite easily.

Im commissioning a Paterson loading lever from a well known knife maker, made from tempered solid steel, not cast potmetal. I broke my uberti wrench and could only find a Pietta replacement which does not have the proper nipple wrench end.

Very nice, congratulations
Looking forward to hearing and seeing how you make your nipple wrench

William Alexander

If you remove the 4-sided Uberti nipples, you should be able to replace them with 2-sided? If you can't remove the original nipples, use an easy-out.

Nice piece cyclist, very pleasing to my eyes.

We all do things a bit differently & would probably make the nipple wrench in differing ways.

Seeing as how I don't yet have a square drill bit, I would use a round one to end drill a bar of carbon steel of the correct diameter. Then using the forge, anvil & hammer I would form a square punch to the same size as the square of the nipples.
Heat to red the bar with the round hole & drive the square punch into it to form the female square.
The square punch will have some taper to it & so therefore will the square female hole. By grinding the end of the female square (shortening the shoulder) the fit to nipple can be brought to very snug.
Cut to length & weld on tee handle.
O.

I had a Uberti with square nipples and I used a
long nose pliers straight down on them and they
came out without a problem. The Uberti needed no other work but the Navy Arms needed complete re- building.
Wulf

Way back in the early 70's I had a couple of Replica arms from Marietta, Ohio
The guns were great to look at, but the innards were dead soft.
I still have one 1849 baby dragoon in .32 cal.
Please check the hardness on the sear, paul, ratchet, and cylinder lock before they get damaged. ( if they are soft)
Fred

My first percussion revolver was a M.1860 from Replica Arms...who was, in fact, an importer and not a maker. Nearly all their guns were from Uberti. Though it's a bit out of focus, It appears your gun has the Uberti stamp. When your gun was new, Replica Arms had it available in barrel lengths of 6", 7 & 1/2", 9" and 12". Boxed sets were available in the three shorter lengths. Later, they did a limited run of 4 & 3/4" guns. Their catalog of that period still perpetuated the tale of being made in .40 caliber, though all their guns were .36 caliber. Though some of the Peterson rifles were .40's no revolvers ever were.

Back