• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta Colt 1836 Texas Paterson

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Long Johns Wolf

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am in the middle of researching Patersons replicas for an article in a German gun journal.
Regarding the Pietta ones I have two questions and I wonder if you might be able to help?
1) When did Pietta start their making?
The earliest Pietta Patersons I could inspect had the AE date code for 1979.
Does any of you ladies and gentlemen have an ealier one ans would care to let me know?
2) From what I could find out only the 9" barreled variant was and is being produced.
Are there any other factory original barrel lengths floating around of the Pietta Patersons?
Thanks a lot.
Long Johns Wolf

If you have access to any old Dixie Gun Works catalogs, you might have more luck getting a better idea as to when those revolvers were available.

I don’t own a Pietta Paterson. I do have a Uberti version with the loading lever. I think they are very interesting and beautiful. There’s just something about the Paterson… :thumb: :cool:

From what I could find out Uberti entered the Paterson race in 1988 only with their First Model (no loading lever) followed by their Second Model (with 3-part loding lever).
Long Johns Wolf

I have 3 Pietta Patersons. The oldest is a Navy Arms import, has 3 digit serial # 13x, date coded AE (1979). The other two are both 2017 production imported by EMF. Major difference I can tell is the Navy Arms has quite sharp edges to the grip, whereas the EMFs are quite rounded and dull in their finish vs. the shine on the Navy Arms.
DSCN1481[1].JPG

One of the 2017 versions locked up after the very first shot out of it. I sent it back to EMF and a factory rep rebuilt it, whereupon it did the exact same thing. I left it with a local gunsmith who, by using the good one, was able to find a small broken part inside and remake it. It now functions, but not quite as smoothly as either of the other two. While I think they're graceful looking... none of them are as graceful functioning as my 1851s.

@Long Johns Wolf - I know you only asked about Piettas but FWIW, I have a MOFRA reproduction proofed 1964, three-digit serial number. I think MOFRA was bought out by Euromanufacture but that’s about all I know.

KH54: Your are right in that MOFRA was the first maker of Paterson replicas.
Earliest specimens go back to the early 1960s.
Their grips have this non-historical contour that also the Piattas share.
I had a smith correct the contour on my MOFRA Paterson to bring it closer to the originals.
I suspect Pietta eventually got hold of the old MOFRA Paterson blueprints and machinery.
Long Johns Wolf
1699518052420.jpeg

Latest posts

Back