• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Replacing a lock mainspring

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patocazador

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I just got 2 mainsprings for the locks on my CVA SxS shotgun. I need advice on how to compress them to insert them into the lock assembly. Will a vice grip do a sufficient job of keeping them compressed while I insert them??

Maybe - there is a chance you will break them going at them with pliers - which is why a "mainspring vice" is available for 10-15 bucks. (vice)

I have removed/installed springs with pliers (not vice grips but would probably work), but my intake of Tums reduced significantly after acquiring a vice :grin:

My only advice would be - don't compress the spring further than it would be at half cock (plus a tiny hair more) with the pliers. That will lessen the chance of breaking it AND try not to let it slip..

That "vise" is a neat little tool. The shipping is more than the price of the spring though. I'll order one the next time I make a bigger order to justify the shipping costs.

I'll try it with the vise grips and pray a lot.

Thanks

Old40Rod said:
I use a spring vise, but I always wondered why L & R indicates in their instructions that a pair of pliers is "best".

Because they are in the business to make money and a replacement main spring is 19 bucks :rotf:

I used pliers for years. Then one day a main spring broke. $17.00 at the time, so I ordered a replacement and a vise. The vise was cheaper than the spring.

Once you own the vice you will use it more often than you might think at first. Not just to replace springs (it will work on the frizzen spring too) but for thourough cleaning behind the springs too. And you can be a hero to all your buddies by lending it to them.

The spring vice, would be my recommendation. However, I've never used one. I use a little 2" C-clamp, ground and modified to fit on the spring. The main thing is never collapse a spring anymore than necessary, to remove it. When I get around to buying a vice, I'm going to look for one that has the jaw slotted. This allows for better alignment, from side to side.

A vise grips works fine when removing and reinstalling the same spring because the spring can be pre-compressed by cocking the hammer. But for some reason compressing the spring with the vice grip wreaks havoc upon them. After breaking 2 that way I bought the spring vice.

I appreciate the advice and will buy a spring vise in the future but got impatient and used the vise grips. I had quite a bit of trouble compressing it enough to barely fit in. It's in and everything seems to function great. The previous spring was very weak and had been altered by stoning (or grinding). I polished the bearing surfaces prior to inserting it.
Now it's the strong spring.
The CVA springs only cost $10/each at Deer Creek. 2 springs plus shipping = $25.95.

Back