• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

L&R lock mainspring

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentuckyjed

.45, .50, .62 cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I just picked up a L&R Durrs Egg lock at a decent price but the mainspring that came with it with some other parts doesn't seem to match up to what TOTW has. It has a little curly tip on the end that sits up against the plate and will not fit. It looks like it could be modified (filed) down to fit or should I just by one for that lock. Any recommendations? I do not have any pictures of it yet, sorry.

Hi Jed,
It is possible you have an older L&R lock without the new "forged" mainsprings. The old spring had a bigger fancier lug that butted against the bolster on the lock plate. You need to post photos so we can really tell what it is.

dave

I have a 45 year old L&R Durrs Egg lock that had two cast mainsprings break. The most recent break was almost two years ago.
As Dave stated above, they modified the lock so it now uses a forged mainspring that is different in size and fit from the original ones.
I contacted L&R and they had me ship the lock to them for a free re-fit of the new mainspring and they filled in the old hole. I just paid for return shipping.
Excellent customer service and great new lock spring!

20231012_064144.jpg
20231012_064127.jpg

I did get the mainspring to fit but now the cock will not pull back because of the spring being fully extended. Wondering if it is the wrong spring.

I am not familiar with this style of lock so I really do not know what I am missing. is there supposed to be a fly detent on this as well? Is there anything that could be broken or missing?
Thanks
20231012_081536.jpg

Last edited:
You are wasting your time and efforts. That sure looks like the original cast spring. As I mentioned above, L&R will replace the spring with the correct forged one and install it, as well as fill in the old mounting holes. They did so with mine free of charge.
If you muck around with it they may not want to deal with it.
You should call them and talk to them. Nothing to loose.

I would send it back to L&R. I only dealt with them once for a lock I bought back in 1977. The frizzen spring had been changed since then. They replaced it and sent a new main spring as well for no charge.

Back