• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

repair or restoration of antique weapons??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There are three lots of old firearms missing parts and in various states of disrepair up for auction. Question do you think such weapons should be restored with new parts or left as is? Link below. Side note I am just curious as I have no intention of bidding. I don't have space for wall hangers or the skills to restore. https://hibid.com/lot/129286815/4--antique-percussion-rifles

That's a lot I've been watching. I would restore the patchbox rifle and top and bottom which both have a nice drop in the butt, makes me think early trade. I'm also saving my pennies for Czernys auction in September so we'll see

If the rifle is complete, I recommend conservation of the gun to stop further deterioration rather than restoration than may alter the history of the rifle. There are some basket cases where restoration is the only choice to have that example of a particular rifle continue to represent that school of rifle construction.

Preserving patina is important with original guns but so is preservation. To me stabilizing or repairing damage is fine, as is replacing missing parts such as locks and hardware. To me it is also not a "restoration" as long as no attempt is made to make old guns appear new. All four of the rifles shown are survivors, and their appearance, form or function are not enhanced one bit by the missing parts and damage, and to me are certainly worthy of repair and preservation.

Personally, I won't own a firearm of any age if I can't shoot it. That goes for muzzle loader and breach loaders alike. My brother had an old 1800's contract musket that's touch hole was worn to the point that when you loaded it, the powder shot out into the pan. When it was fired, you had to make sure nothing was adjacent to the right of you or it would take a huge flame. We took it to a guy who filled in the hole and re-drilled it. The gun works much better now even though it was "Repaired."

Latest posts

Back