• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Renovating a Lost & Found Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A brief story first. During the 2016 Muzzle Loading big game season here in Colorado, one of my sons leaned his TC Hawken up against a tree during a rest break while hunting by himself and walked away from it. By the time he realized what he had done, he only had a general idea where it was. When he could not find it after a panicked search he came back to camp a mile away and one of his other brothers and I hoofed it double time with him back to the area where he thought he lost it and searched for 4 hours until dark with no luck. We went back the next morning and searched for another half day with still no luck. I came back the next two weekends with a friend (it's a 5 mile walk in) and never found it. I put fliers out at the area trail heads that Fall with the hope that a hunter during the regular rifle season yet to come might stumble across it and I spread the word with outfitters in the area. No luck, so we wrote it off for the season thinking to go in the next Spring for another search.
Well the snow melted finally the next Spring and we made what was a half hearted search at that point with no results. So, I work in a gun shop, and that summer sold a left handed Lyman GP ml to a young big game guide who hunted the same area we did. I told him my story and he said he would keep his eyes open. The 2017 ML season that Fall, my sons and I were back hunting the same area. We looked for the missing ML again, but never saw it and figured it was gone for good. But we were wrong. That young guide called me just before Christmas after hunting season and asked if I could describe the Hawken exactly to him. I did, and he said yep, he had it. He was guiding a client in the area and sat down to take a rest. He said he looked up and there was the rifle 10' away, still leaning against a tree. It was the same area where my son thought he left it. We all probably walked right by it, but since the cover was so dense never saw it. I finally was able to hook up with the guide last week and retrieve the rifle. That young man got a very nice reward!
Well the rifle was a bit rusted after spending 14 months in the open, but not as bad as it might have been since it was leaning against a tree. I am going to draw file the barrel to get the rust & light pitting off and brown the barrel. I never did like the factory bluing. All the brass furniture acquired a nice dull patina and will remain as is. The walnut stock is a little weathered and will need to be refinished, but is in very good shape considering. There is some black staining in the wood where the outside of the lock rusted and dripped on it. I'm hoping that some deck bleach I have for refinishing wood decks might work on that. I'll experiment on an area hidden behind the lock plate first. Anybody have any experience with this? The lock itself was rusted a bit on the outside but hardly any inside. I've pulled and seen locks rusted much worse after one wet hunting season. My biggest concern is the bore. We always put a piece of electrical tape over the muzzle when hunting, and it was still there when found. There are several small patches of rust in the bore, but back at the breech some moisture creeped in through the uncapped nipple and turned the powder to rock and rusted away all the rifling there. I had to pull the breech plug to get the hardened powder/rust out. It's pretty rough there, and I'm thinking of putting some emery cloth on a dowel and spinning it to try to smooth it out to make it easier to clean. Or since I have a metal lathe, just cut the rusted length off the barrel and rethread the breech, but there's a lot of work involved with that. Anyone have any thoughts on that? Anyway, my son who lost the rifle is thrilled it's back, as am I.

I think your son should tie a rope around his waist and the gun when using your gun....or buy his own gun. Good luck w/ the restoration.....Fred

That is an excellent story ! I’m glad you recovered the rifle. It sounds like a great project for you and your son. :thumbsup:

I'd love to post some photos, but I am not enough computer savvy to figure it out myself without brain damage. Perhaps someone could point me towards a tutorial. Boring out to .58 has a certain appeal since bigger is always better for elk, but can Mr. Hoyt do a twist rate to stabilise a conical bullet, does anyone know? I know round balls are preferred on this forum, and I have taken both bull and cow elk and a few deer with them, but a big heavy full bore diameter conical plants elk so much better. I did a cast of the rusted breech area today to see how bad it was, and it was definitely overbore @ about .560". Here's a thought, what if I were to ream out the rusted part and make a close fitting liner with a .54 inside diameter and glue it in with something like Rocksett or JB Weld, or even solder? The rusted area is only about 1" long. Might be a little freebore for light rb loads, interesting to see if the rifling would snag the patches as the ball progressed into the rifled bore. Just a thought.
I'm not to worried about the little rust in the rest of the bore, it can be smoothed out. I've rescued several garage sale muzzleloaders with similar bores and they shot fine for most purposes, just takes a little more effort to clean.

I had a TC barrel bored from .50 to .54 by Mr Hoyt I kept it 1 in 48, it was friend's rifle. I never shot conicals in it but it was a tack driver with a patched ball.

I suspect Mr Hoyt can rifle any rate of twist.

I, too, had Mr. Hoyt bore out a barrel ... it was a .54 which i had him run to .62 smooth. This is easily the least expensive fix. I'm pretty sure that he can run any rate of twist you want ...

Mr. Robert Hoyt
2379 Mt. Hope Road
Fairfield, PA 17320
(717) 642-6696

Yes put a GPS transponder in the patch box.If you lose it just ping it with your cell phone!

brassell31 said:
I'd love to post some photos, but I am not enough computer savvy to figure it out myself without brain damage.

Perhaps someone could point me towards a tutorial.

Please check your Private Messages here - I've sent you a tutorial. :v

A badly rusted 54 many not be able to rebored to a different twist rate in a .58. you're only talking .020". Not only the bore rusted larger, the lands did too. You only need about .010" or so pitting depth for the pits of the lands to be bigger than the main bore size of a .58 caliber.

Now, if you keep the rate of twist, then you will remove atleast .020" more material where the lands should of rested.

Not sure if hoyt uses the same rifling, or makes it a different profile (round vs square rifling) or make the rifling even deeper.

Eric Krewson said:
I had a TC barrel bored from .50 to .54 by Mr Hoyt I kept it 1 in 48, it was friend's rifle. I never shot conicals in it but it was a tack driver with a patched ball.

I suspect Mr Hoyt can rifle any rate of twist.

Did you just send the barrel to Mr Holt,or do you have to call him first ?

I called him first, this was no easy task as he is working in his shop and can't hear the phone. I tried at various times and got him after a week or so.

He gave me a price plus shipping and off my barrel went.

Update! I have a new Rice barrel I got cheaply, it is a .50 and I don't need another .50 (I have two) so I planned to send it to Mr Hoyt and have it bored to .54.

As his phone number is in this thread I thought "what the heck" and gave him a call, got him on the first try.

$120 for the work and $20 to ship back.

I called him around lunch time and he answered in about 10 rings,I will be sending my 22" deerstalker carbine today to get relined,I wanted to keep it a .50 cal 1-48.
Thanks for the info.

Back