• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Renegade to 58 caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a .52 that was a .50 TC. It cleaned up ok.

If that .50 is really pitted deeply .54 should be just fine.

Ok, heres a question?....when one gets a Hoyt barrel back will it take 200 shots to "break it in" or does he smooth the rifling down? Just wondering, I hear his work produces fine shooting rifles.

ya....but or course tis not rifled, I assume the rifling edges are why the break i period is an issue. Any body with a Hoyt rifled barrel have an opinion?

My .58 rebored barrel was a fine shooter straight from Mr. Hoyt. However, I did run a bore mop with JB bore paste thru the barrel about a dozen times to remove any rough spots from the re-boring.
Fyrstyk

I have a pitted Renegade .54 rifle. Is it possible t have it re-bored?

I'd actually prefer .58 or .62 with a slow twist for round balls.

necchi said:
Dude, read the this thread.
:idunno:
I DID read it.

The original poster did not specify the original bore of his rifle, only that he had it bored to 58.

I see guys having 50's bored out to 54's. I see guys having 45's bored out to 54. I see guys talking about taking 50's up to 58.

I see another fella talking about a big bore 58, but I do not know if his rifle came that way from the factory, or if he had it rebored.

I see complaints about USPS.
I see one guy totally off topic about sights.

I see one guy discussing the shape and bottom of the grooves which is certainly relevant, but it's greek to me, because I couldn't tell you the difference between square bottom and frog spit rifling.

I see guys discussing bluing and what parts need to be removed before sending the barrel for the work.

And then there's YOU - acting like I'm an idiot for asking a question that doesn't appear to have been answered in this thread. :haha:

I see noone talking of having a TC Renegade bored from 54 up to 58 and CHANGING the rifling to slow twist. I'm not a fan of the 1:48 twist and would prefer something closer to 1:60 -- 1:70.

If ya can't help, why be antagonistic? :td:

ChrisHarris said:
If ya can't help, why be antagonistic? :td:
Given the subject of a 1" T/C barrel;
If the end result is 58 or 62,, how would it possibly matter what the previous ID was?
And because I get tired of folks not doing their own basic research and ask others to do it for them,,
So here you go;
Al Rittenhouse said:
Thanks BB I like the 58 to and I just sent a 28 inch 54 out to have B Hoyt do his magic on one.
SDSmlf said:
$50 for a sewer pipe barrel. $31 + shipping for a TOW plug. $12 for shipping to Bobby. $125 to Bobby for his efforts. Equals a 26" 58 cal 1 in 60" radius rifled barrel that works with a TC Renegade or Hawken
necchi said:
My 62 smooth bore was good right away, it was amazing,
Fyrstyk said:
My .58 rebored barrel was a fine shooter straight from Mr. Hoyt.
I searched another topic for you so we could avoid the next question;
ToddBro said:
Spoke with Mr. Robert Hoyt this morning,,
He has relocated and his new address is
2379 Mt Hope Rd, Farfield PA.
717-642-6696
I have now given 15 minutes of my life to you.
Your welcome.
It's kinda like wetting your pants in a dark suit.
You get a warm feeling but nobody notices.

15 minutes well spent. Thanks for all you do.

However when we slam the crappola out of each other for asking questions the newbies and other question askers clam up. You were very kind to answer him. Your appreciated. And if I ever see ya with a stain in yer crotch I will certainly (discreetly) mention that too!

Ive heard guys get slammed for what seems like a simple question.... "go do the research" they are told. I scratch my head and think.....didn't they just start? :idunno: I have many times "googled" a question and guess what?.....many of the answers revert right back to this very forum! Makes some of us wonder what is a legitimate question and whats to simple?

Keep on askin....most of us will answer it AGAIN!

ChrisHarris said:
I have a pitted Renegade .54 rifle. Is it possible t have it re-bored?

I'd actually prefer .58 or .62 with a slow twist for round balls.

I am betting it can be done, I'd ask Bobby Hoyt, he will tell ya, recommend a twist rate (is asked) for what you indend to shoot and give a close bal park price all in one call. I hear he can be hard to reach (but maybe slower now) so give him a call. I have no direct dealing with him YET but plan to be sending a .36 traditions that will NOT shoot a group and have it "Hoytized" into a .40. he said he could do it, gave a reasonable quote and suggested 1/48 twist (was expecting slower but he's the expert). Good luck and let us know if ya go that route!

There's more about the 1" T/C barrels that should be added to this thread, an inconsistency.
This is right from Mr. Hoyt;
It seems T/C was none too careful about drilling the holes for the rear sight, they have a varied depth and of concern when going to 62.
If you going to 62 rifled or smooth none of the factroy drilled and taped holes can be deeper then .125. Mr Hoyt will not bore to 62 if they are deeper.
I asked if this applies to all the holes including the rail and he answered,"Yes", he does measure them all but has seen the problem primarily with the rear sight.
Now let's consider the difference between 58 and 62, .04,, would this rules still apply?
:hmm:
I don't know, if someone wonders, they should maybe ask the guy that's might do the work for them and use the phone number found above.

Back