• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Renegade to 58 caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just curious if any of you Renegade lovers has taken the standard 26 inch Renegade barrel and had Bobby Hoyt punch it out to a 58. I was wondering about the performance with a shorter barrel. Al

Not a conversion, but I have a pair of TC Big Boars, 58 caliber with 1" x 26" barrels. I also have 58 cals with 24", 28", 32" and 36" barrels. Yeah, I like 58 caliber!

As for performance differences, I dunno what to tell you. I don't shoot them past 100 yards, and within that range trajectories are pretty much comparable when powder charges are the same.

Other considerations: That 26" barrel is incredibly quick handling yet well balanced. It's heavy enough to dampen recoil a little compared to the one I have that's lighter. It also digests heavier charges happily, if you can stand it on the back end. There's really no accuracy edge I can find between patched balls and conicals, though the conicals most certainly get your attention.

My standard RB load in both Big Boars is 100 grains of 2f or 90 grains of 3f. One is happiest with 100 grans of 2f under a conical, while the other does best with 90 grains of 3f. And both BITE with those loads.

Thanks BB I like the 58 to and I just sent a 28 inch 54 out to have B Hoyt do his magic on one. I have a another renegade on the way and I am thinking of sending it to him also. I forgot about the TC big boar and didn't remember what length barrel it had. Al

Had Mr. Hoyt take a 26" Renegade percussion barrel that was a 50 cal sewer pipe up to 58 cal. with his 1 in 60" semi radius rifling. Fitted it with a flint plug from TOW. First five shots over 90 GR of Swiss 3f at 50 yards in a TC Hawken stock touched. Loved the way it handled. That Hawken stock has been re-shaped and tung oil finish is curing (I give it 30 days after last of many coats). Debating between rust blue and browning. Not sure about sights. May be time to consider some sort of peep sight. A few months away from 60........ a different topic. Any way, believe I have found a shooter in a 58, cal 26" 1 in 60", Renegade barrel.

Id gladly walk that mile to avoid the transportation thru the USPS as they have lost three items for me in the last 30 days. I have another renegade in a 50 cal sewer pipe as SDS mentioned I will send Mr Hoyt when my first one returns. Ive always loved big bore. Al

$50 for a sewer pipe barrel. $31 + shipping for a TOW plug. $12 for shipping to Bobby. $125 to Bobby for his efforts. Finish with a little bit of assembly and finishing...... Equals a 26" 58 cal 1 in 60" radius rifled barrel that works with a TC Renegade or Hawken ~ priceless. And not for sale.

SDSmlf said:
$50 for a sewer pipe barrel. $31 + shipping for a TOW plug. $12 for shipping to Bobby. $125 to Bobby for his efforts. Finish with a little bit of assembly and finishing...... Equals a 26" 58 cal 1 in 60" radius rifled barrel that works with a TC Renegade or Hawken ~ priceless. And not for sale.

My 58 Hawken has the same rifling by Robby and it it a great shooter!

Finished product is 4 to 6 weeks away. Tung oil on stock has to cure (hardware sticks to finish if rushed); still have to finish the barrel - debating rust bluing or browning; have not yet decided on or ordered sights - do not like the look of TC factory sights..... a work in progress.

- "do not like the look of TC factory sights"

Agreed. Do not like modern sights on a traditional style primitive rifle. My rifles wear primitive sights.

Glad someone asked this question as I've also been thinking of sending a 50 cal Renegade barrel to Bob to have him rebore it out to 58 cal.

Just curious, have you found the 26" rebored barrel to be as accurate (or roughly as accurate) as your 32" barrel?? I have a 32" GM barrel in 58 that is my most accurate barrel by far. Difficult to shoot offhand as it's not tapered and is a beast to hold. But off a bench is a different story; I can 1 hole almost every group at 25 yards and can drop 'em in nice 2-3 inch groups almost every time at 100 yards...which ain't bad for me.

Also, what is meant by "semi radius rifling?" Is this the same as "round bottom rifling?"

Dunno about the rifling term, but it would be explained when you call about the rebore.

Mine aren't rebores, so I can't help you there. I will say that the Big Boars with their 26" barrels are as accurate as the 28" (Investarms 15/16") and 32" (GM drop-in). The little 24" (Oregon custom barrel tapering from 1 1/8" to 15/16") suffers a bit in comparison, but it could be a sighting radius thing with my geezer eyes. I have to say that my 36" GRRW's is the single most accurate muzzleloader I've ever shot. It's clearly the most accurate among the many ML's owned by my circle of friends, too. When I load it right and hold my mouth right, it's capable of groups under 3" all day long at 100 yards. Not an answer to your question, but a look at an array of barrels anyway.

Hmmm...so that 26" BigBore barrel is as accurate as the 32" GM drop-in. Now that's sayin something. Thanks for the feedback.

I trust that a barrel worked on by Mr Hoyt will be at least equal to your BigBore barrel.

Now, gotta research what "semi radius rifling" is.

Everything I have is production square cut rifling. Always wanted something with round bottom rifling...if for no other reason than to say I have a rifle with round bottom rifling. :wink:

The rifling on rebores from Mr. Hoyt has grooves that are trapezoidal in cross section and the bottom of the grooves is curved (as opposed to a straight line as with a true trapezoid).
That's the ones I've received. Kinda suspect he could pro'bly make anything so long as you write out for him exactly what it is to be. He sure as the world did for the liner in my .458 New Englander.

Those Tc rifles were actually called /spelt big 'boar' and for a great reason too! Incredibly appropriate for hunting pigs with. I did have one and shot Hornady great Plains bullets out of it very well. Deadly on piggies. I sold it because I wanted a more traditional style of rifle. Don't regret selling it but wish I had the opportunity and option of playing around with barrels like you guys do.

I would likely find a CVA mountain rifle, put a. 58 barrel on it and call it my pig hunting rifle! Nothing like a 58 ball for stopping a charging boar. Your heart stops waiting for the smoke to clear only to find the boar kicking his last breath a few yards away.

I also have a pitted 50 Cal Renegade barrel, but I was thinking more on the line of having it rebored to 54 Cal instead of 58. Is it possible/practical?

OSR said:
I also have a pitted 50 Cal Renegade barrel, but I was thinking more on the line of having it rebored to 54 Cal instead of 58. Is it possible/practical?
Yep, it is possible and practical. I just had 2 TC Hawken barrels drilled out to 54 (1 was 45 and the other 50). One to smooth and one to a 1/66 twist. Both were rust buckets I picked up over the last few years. I have not shot them yet as I just got them back and need to put the file to them and then brown them. I had another one done to 54 a year ago and it shoots great. Call Bob and tell him what you want.

Dave

Back