• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Renegade or Hawken TC sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barrows

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi. I'm looking for a replacement rear sight for a Thompson Center Renegade, which has a 1" barrel. I understand the sight is different than the sight for the TC Hawken 50 caliber, which has a 15/16" barrel. How can I tell the difference when looking at used sights for sale at online auctions? Is the distance between the two screw holes different between the two? Thanks.

Barrows,
No, the screw holes are the same. The width of the base is the only difference between the 15/16" and 1" barrels. I have one rear sight that appears to have come off a round barrel. It could be put on a belt sander to flatten the base and it would work. The screw holes would align it on the barrel. If you are interested PM me.
Mark

Here's the biggest differance;
HPIM0571.jpg

Renegade on the left, Hawkin on the right. Too my knowledge you can swap'm out no matter the barrel size.

If you want a more traditional looking (and non-adjustable) sight, I've put a couple of these on TC's now. Not the best picture, and profile to boot, but from the rear it's a real nice traditional buckhorn.

You need to do a little sanding and polishing, and cut your own sight notch, plus drill your own holes. But since the holes aren't threaded you can do it with a hand drill even. There's a little indent on the sight base that you use for marking the spread and position of the second hole with a punch, then you drill them both. Not a big job, either the finishing or the marking and drilling.

Oh, and you'll need to change the front sight to a blade too. Works for me because I prefer blades to beads anyway.

Thanks for the info. What I have is two GM 58 caliber barrels mounted in Renegade stocks. I have the traditional sights you pointed out mounted on one of them. On the other one, I'm putting a scope (forgive me). And the scope mount I got required a Renegade sight to mount, which has two screw holes. The GM barrels I have have two screw holes (which match Renegade screw holes), but the GM rear sight on it only uses one screw hole. The adaptor for the scope uses both holes. Not being as young as I used to be, I can't use traditional rear sights that are back too far on the barrel beyond around 75 yards. So when I'll be hunting in an open field by my place (120 yards), I figured I'd use the scope on one of the GM 58s. I saw some inexpensive TC sights on an online sight, and only need the screw holes to line up with the scope adaptor and GM barrel. The TC sight mounts above the adaptor plate, and screws into the barrel (with longer screws), thereby holding the scope mount down. Thanks again.

Sounds like a good arrangement, and I know all too well what you mean about trad sights. I'm still sticking to them, but have to keep my shots well within 100 yards these days. However you can keep shooting, do it, and damn the torpedoes from those with younger eyes.

The TC Hawken rifle uses a bead front sight and the rear notch has a "U" cut in the bottom of the blade. The renegade uses a blade front sight and the rear sight has a square notch. The TC Hawken rear sights should fit with no problems, but you will need to change out the front sight. TC has offered several different rear sights over the years. The hole spacing has also changed a little too. Any gunsmith can drill and tap a hole if you need it to get the rear to line up with the holes. when changing out the front sight you can go with a fiber optic TC front if you want.

The T/C sight (and screw positions) are the same for the Contender and scope mounts which fit that.

Are you saying you have a scope mount that attaches to the existing Renegade sight (which seems odd)?

And the scope mount I got required a Renegade sight to mount, which has two screw holes.

In that case - be careful as the sight changed shape over the years. The earlier ones are noticably different size and shape than the later ones.

The scope adaptor rests on the barrel, and has two holes in it. The Renegade sight lines up over the screw holes on the adaptor plate. The adaptor plates comes with longer screws, which screw through the sight, through the adaptor plate, and into the barrel. The scope mount higher for longer distances, and for closer shots, one can use the factory sights below the scope.

Sounds like you have a see-thru scope mount. Those are the worst kind of mount you can buy as far as I'm concerned. They have the scope mounted too high. Look for a mount the uses the holes in the barrel for rear sight with the rear sight removed.

It sounds like the scope mount TC sold. I have one on a Renegade I got at a pawn shop. The open sights and scope can't be adjusted to the same point of impact. Don't remember the reason. Have not looked at the rifle for a while. Larry Wv

I will be offering a single screw and a 2 screw primitive style sight in the near future that will have machined bases to fit 15/16" and 1" octagon barrels. We have found that the single screw model holds up to repeated firings of 54 cal rb loads without movement http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa338/Blackfeet58/IMG_1322-1.jpg http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa338/Blackfeet58/IMG_1314-1.jpg

All drilling is complete and the notch is marked for center only. If you find that you need extra windage, you file the notch accordingly. If there is interest, this will be posted in the proper location. http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa338/Blackfeet58/IMG_1316.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know where I could buy the type of scope mount you're talking about? Yes, what I have is a see-through mount. Thanks for the help. :)

No for sure where you can get the low scope mount, but I'd try these places: cains outdooors, Track of the Wolf, Dixons, & Log cabin. A call to Weaver might produce the proper mount also. It may take a little research, but I'm sure you will find one. I have never been happy with the see thru mounts, so it will be worth you time to find a proper mount.

This rear sight came from The Hawken Shop. I drilled and counterbored the sight for the original TC screws. I used a Renegade blade front sight.

TCHawken004.jpg

Robert

Latest posts

Back