• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Renaissance Wax and fingerprints.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Losekamp

West Harrison, Indiana
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy all,

I applied renwax to the barrel of my colonial while I decide if I want to blue or brown it. Problem is, I'm still getting a ton of fingerprints on there.

Did I apply too much? Did I buff too hard and remove it all? Should I strip it and start over? Kind of confused as I tried to use as little as possible applying it with a little soft sponge but perhaps I should cut up an old t-shirt and use that with even less wax.

Every search I do with the words Renaissance Wax and fingerprints points me to places selling it, so it's not been easy to find help. Thanks for reading.

I suspect perhaps not enough wax. I did a stock earlier this week and it doesn't feel as slick as it should, IMO. I may apply more this weekend.

I do know a couple of other guns I waxed got real smooth after cleaning and wiping the wood down with a shot of WD-40.

I suspect perhaps not enough wax. I did a stock earlier this week and it doesn't feel as slick as it should, IMO. I may apply more this weekend.

I do know a couple of other guns I waxed got real smooth after cleaning and wiping the wood down with a shot of WD-40.
I hadn't considered that may be the case. I'll give it another coat and see if there's improvement, the stock is starting to get that slick/smooth feeling with three applications. I'll see where it takes me, I appreciate your feedback Tumble.

@Tumbledown maybe I'm buffing too hard? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong lol.
I just went over mine again. I applied a thin layer over the whole stock, which felt slightly waxy as it dried. I then vigorously buffed it with a soft cloth and moderate pressure. I use an old athletic sock, turned inside out. As I buffed, I could see the surface develop a sheen, and it doesn't show fingerprints.

Back