• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

REN Wax

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Resolve

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Got some Ren Wax and tried it on a couple stocks; seemed to work pretty good. After checking out previous threads I'm getting the impression many folks use it on their barrels to protect against rust. Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks,
R

I’m glad you mentioned Ren Wax because it is new to me and I will check it out. I use Turtlewax car paste wax on my barrels. On the full stock rifles I use it on the part of the barrel in the barrel channel.

I really don't know as this is the first time I ever applied wax to any of my firearms. I'm happy with the Ren Wax but kind of wished I had tried the Johnsons first. As Deerstalker says Ren is pricey. Back in 65 my parents had an oak hardwood floor put in the living room. The finish carpenter that lived up the road aways did it for us. To save money my parents put the wax finish on themselves. They used a hard wax made for wood floors called Butchers wax. They rubbed it in and buffed it by hand. A lot of hard work but it wore like iron. I'll bet that would work also.

R

Johnson's has been discontinued, and the price for an unopened can is hitting 80 bucks on various websites. The next best option is probably Minwax Paste Wax.

Yeah, I saw the prices on Johnsons. I don't need to buy the Johnson name that bad. I think BWC still makes "Bowling Alley Wax" and "Boston Wax". Not sure if either will work; need to look into it.

Last edited:
I like Johnson Paste Wax for most paste wax use but if has been discontinued then I'll find something else. It does last a long time if you don't slop it on heavy. I do have one full can and about 1/4 of another can on hand I also have a 3/4 tin of Renaissance wax and Briwax on hand also.

FWIW the guys over on the Bladesmith Forums are also complaining about the high price of Renaissance Wax. More than a few chimed in and said they're using Butchers Bowling Alley Wax as a viable alternative ... nevermind it's only $16 for a 1-pound tub!

I didn't know Johnson past wax had been discontinued,there's a little old school 5 and dime store in town that just might still have some left,I'll check next time I'm in town and hopefully pick up a can of two.I use it sometimes in bullet lube concoction for unmentionables.

Rennaisance Wax is wonderful!! I got my first tin at a collector's show, nearly 5 yrs ago,. I'm finally finishing it & need to restock.
I use it on gun wood & metal. Never had a problem w/ rust or corrosion w/it. Good pastw wax (except for cars or basic wood wax seems a memory.
I recommend trying it, if you haven't.

Back