• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Removing deep sanding scratches on barrel.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guncobbler

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am still working on my 75 ERA flint fowler. Just a couple of things to do before pinning it all together. One job is to work over the barrel with finer and finer sand paper to remove the 100 grit scratches left by the barrel builder. These scratches go around the barrel as the barrel must have been chucked in a lathe and sanded. Started off with 150 grit on a pad but that was really slow going. What really worked to get below those sctratches was a sanding block about 5 inches long and 1"x1". Held the block and paper across the barrel and sanded in the direction of the barrel length. This allowed me to put a lot of force on a small footprint and use the paper to best advantage. After working all scratches that I could see easily I wiped the barrel down good and went over it marking it with a marker every place I could see a deeper sanding scratch missed. Haven't figured out how I'll finish the barrel. Thinking of browning it. GC

Guncobbler,
In my limited experience browning with LMF I found that if I stop at 220 grit when sanding, the browning comes out real nice, all the small sanding marks will disappear once you start the browning process.

Gary

If you're going to brown it you've already went too far with the paper. I draw file and that's it. Paper never touches the barrel.
This picture is of a draw filed barrel that has been antiqued with LMF browning solution.
wilkins5.jpg

:bow: Mike, How do you drawfile the round portion?? When I built my fowler with octagon to round barrel the octagon portion was easy...drawfile. but the round portion I sanded with paper in my hand...It antiqued fine with 44/40 and bleach but I wondered what you do to get a fine finish on a barrel to be left in the white or dark blued?? :hmm:

Back